[LIBRARYDIR] CTA market research report, Future of Work

Martin, Jeff jeff.martin at sos.wa.gov
Mon May 8 13:26:25 PDT 2017

Found in ALA District Dispatch at http://www.districtdispatch.org/2017/05/jobs-summit-emilys-party-e-rate-and-san-diego/.

This past week, I had the privilege of attending a part of the New American Jobs Summit<https://www.cta.tech/News/Press-Releases/2017/May/CTA%E2%80%99s-New-American-Jobs-Summit-Explores-the-Future.aspx> organized by the Consumer Technology Association (CTA), a member of the American Library Association's Public Policy Advisory Council. This was a wonderful event and my only regret was being able to attend only a part of the day.

Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-NC), Chairwoman of the Committee on Education and the Workforce, raised a number of points of direct relevance to the library community. Foxx emphasized the skills gap, especially in the tech sector and that the nation needs stronger education, not training. We "train animals and educate people," she said. "All education is vocational" and all degree seekers want a job. Foxx is supportive of innovative learning opportunities and better community partnerships. Of course, we will have to see if Chairwoman Foxx's positions will lead to actual positive change for the nation's communities.

CTA featured its new market research report "Future of Work,"<https://www.cta.tech/News/Blog/Articles/2017/May/The-Future-of-Jobs-in-the-United-States.aspx> based on a survey of tech industry leaders. Not surprisingly, 71% of leaders say it is difficult to find appropriately skilled employees. However, only 9% believe that the situation will improve during the next five years - so there is plenty of opportunity for libraries to help, for example, through engaging in coding awareness and skills development, bolstered by ALA's Libraries Ready to Code<http://www.ala.org/tools/readytocode> initiative.

I have attached the report referenced in this article, "Future of Work".

JEFF MARTIN Manager, Library Development
Washington State Library | Office of the Secretary of State
6880 Capitol Blvd SE, Tumwater, Washington
w: 360-704-5248 | f: 360-586-7575
jeff.martin at sos.wa.gov<mailto:jeff.martin at sos.wa.gov>

[wsl-logo]<https://www.sos.wa.gov/library>   [WTBBL] <http://www.wtbbl.org/>    [wsl colored social icons_Facebook - Round] <https://www.facebook.com/WashingtonStateLibrary/>    [wsl colored social icons_Twitter - Round] <https://twitter.com/WAStateLib>    [wsl colored social icons_YouTube - Round] <https://www.youtube.com/user/WAStateLibrary>