[LIBRARYDIR] fragrance free policies

Mindy Coslor Mindy.Coslor at skagit.edu
Wed Jun 15 11:11:47 PDT 2016

Hi Sue,

Currently, SVC has some departmental policies due to employees with sensitivities.  However, our governance structure is considering a request to develop a policy for a scent-free campus.  I don't know where we are in the process.  The last information is that it has been referred to Human Resources for more information.  Here is the language of the proposal:

1. Proposal/Request

Please evaluate making the departments on campus scent free. AHE and Nursing as well as the business office already are scent free.

2. Rationale

1. Basis for the requested change:

I am posting a quote from the Massachusetts Nurses Association web site that states the requested change quite well. http://www.massnurses.org/health-and-safety/articles/chemical-exposures/p/openItem/1347

According to the Massachusetts Nurses Association "Campaign for Fragrance-free Health Care in the U.S." "Patients with asthma, allergies, migraines, compromised immune systems, and those who have been chemically injured are particularly vulnerable. Nurses may be at even greater risk than patients because they experience cumulative exposure."

The Health Science Department and Business office are currently scent free. Both departments have employees that are sensitive to scent and suffer respiratory issues when exposed. The issues come when we interact with other persons on campus that wear scents.

2. Current policy/procedure (if any) as it applies:

Current status in departments listed above is "scent free". Signs are posted. There is not a policy/procedure.

3. Impact if the policy/procedure is enacted:

SVC employees would not be able to wear perfumed scents to work.

4. Impact if policy/procedure is left unchanged:

Because the sensitivity is cumulative, eventually a sensitive person could suffer anaphylaxis. This is a condition characterized constriction of the airways and a swollen tongue or throat, which can cause wheezing and trouble breathing. The condition may appear immediately or occur up to ½ hour later.

Mindy Coslor, Ph.D.
Director of Library Services
Skagit Valley College
2405 E. College Way