[LIBRARYDIR] which database number?

Mindy Coslor Mindy.Coslor at skagit.edu
Mon Jul 11 08:19:20 PDT 2016

Cheyenne,

I'm discouraged that we don't have standardized data points from software  vendors.  For instance, Statistical Abstracts just discontinued # of sessions and we only have retrievals.  Films on Demand are tracking logins, not sessions.

I look at the number of retrievals since it seems to be the most consistent, but it would be helpful to understand the data better and how to use it.  For instance, do all the databases count retrievals the same way?  Would it make sense to calculate the number of retrievals per session?  Also, retrieval does not mean that the student thought the document was useful .

What about the databases that are not 100% full-text?  Students may be using the citations to request interlibrary loans or search online for the documents.  Many of our database reports only count full-text retrievals.

I need to explore this topic a little more.

Mindy

Mindy Coslor, Ph.D.

Director of Library Services