[LIBRARYDIR] {Disarmed} RE: Accessible databases and other library resources

Howard Fuller hfuller at whatcom.ctc.edu
Tue Nov 24 09:19:08 PST 2015

Vivienne:

As with many WCC's is a campus wide efforts, and a process that will happen over time.

The Accessibility Team sends out regular "how to" emails (see attached example) related to checking one aspect of making content more accessible providing information that is pragmatic and actionable (and not overwhelming), ie, 'how to' adapt your instructional material to meet/exceed ADA compliance.  For example one Accessibility email provided bullet points of how to check your PPT slides and make corrects (using the MS built in tools to see how a 'reader' would read the slide). The Library demo'd this process in a departmental meeting and we've reviewed and updated our teaching slides.  Another Accessibility email provided the process our searching only for closed captioned YouTube video's. As I said, actionable and pragmatic.

In the library, as we finish converting select VHS tapes to DVDs we are adding closed captioned functionality for some (depending on the work involved and use of the video).

I've also attached an email from a blog I follow that has now made the rounds at WCC talking about the "Additional guidelines are associated with Section 508 that will be implemented in 2016 to include the WCAG 2.0 or web accessibility initiative."
I hope some of this is helpful.

Thank you
Howard