[LIBRARYDIR] Question regarding online library services for students w/disabilities

Kram, LAURI lkram at edcc.edu
Mon Nov 23 15:31:51 PST 2015

Vivienne, The Director of Edmonds CC's Services for Students with
Disabilities is leading an E-Content Accessibility Task Force for our
campus, the library is represented on this task force. We have just begun
to meet and are working on a variety of areas, including auditing the
college's most heavily used webpages. I can send you links to the tools we
are using for that audit if you are interested.

For our review we are using the *World Wide Web Consortium* (W3C - An
international community where Member organizations, a full-time staff, and
the public work together to develop Web standards
<http://www.w3.org/standards/>. To read more go to
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/) where our IT representative showed the Task
Force members the principles of accessibility
<http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/intro.html#introduction-fourprincs-head>.
She used these principles to explain the framework for creating the
accessibility audit.

Here are some resources that have been shared with the Task Force in case
they may be of help to you or others:

   -  Link to *WA **State Guidelines – Accessibility to Information
   Technology for Individuals with Disabilities* from the office of the CIO
   of WA

   https://ocio.wa.gov/policies/1000-g1-state-guidelines-%E2%80%93-accessibility-information-technology-individuals-disabilities

   - For those of you who use *LibGuides*, I did a quick check about *ADA
   compliance for LibGuides*, since most of the Edmonds CC Library's
   website uses the LibGuide platform, and LibGuides are developed with course
   instructors and are heavily used to support individual courses. We have
   over 100 of these to date http://edcc.libguides.com/

Here is what I found, please see
http://springshare.com/libguides/features.html
specifically the section about ADA Compliant Design

[image: ADA Compliant Design]ADA-Compliant Design

LibGuides provides alternative pages for screen readers and hidden
skip-to-navigation links for patrons using adaptive technologies.