[LIBRARYDIR] Ask a librarian / Canvas help links in Canvas Sidebar

Ferrari, Ahniwa ahniwa.ferrari at ghc.edu
Thu Nov 5 11:48:28 PST 2015

Hi again,

A couple questions came through a few times, so I'll just address them here. This works equally well in the updated interface and looks much the same (screenshot attached).

Also the script didn't come through properly on the email list, I think, so I will try and include it below.

Best,

/Ahniwa

----

// add info to the right sidebar

var a = document.createElement("img");
a.src = "https://apps.ghc.edu/legacy/online/canvas/JS/research.png"
a.style.cursor = 'pointer'
a.onclick = function() {
    window.open ("http://ghc.libguides.com/chat-with-a-librarian",'newwindow','location=no,menubar=no,status=no,titlebar=no,toolbar=no,top=100,left=100,scrollbars=yes,width=900,height=900');

};
document.body.appendChild(a);

document.getElementById("right-side").appendChild(a);

var b = document.createElement("img");
b.src = "https://apps.ghc.edu/legacy/online/canvas/JS/email.png"
b.style.cursor = 'pointer'
b.onclick = function() {
    window.open ("http://www.ghc.edu/content/e-learning",'newwindow','location=no,menubar=no,status=no,titlebar=no,toolbar=no,top=100,left=100,scrollbars=yes,width=900,height=900');

};
document.body.appendChild(b);

document.getElementById("right-side").appendChild(b);

----

Ahniwa D. Ferrari
Associate Dean for Library, E-Learning, and Media Services
Grays Harbor College | 1620 Edward P. Smith Drive | Aberdeen, WA 98520

ahniwa.ferrari at ghc.edu | p. 360-538-4050 | f. 360-538-4294

We added these images / buttons into the Canvas sidebar in the last month (see screenshot below) and immediately saw a great increase in the number of QP chat requests we received over the course of the month. Originally I just had the "chat with a librarian" link but after Adrienne raised concerns that our QP would get flooded with Canvas-specific questions we wouldn't be able to answer, I added the Canvas Help button just below it.

Attaching the code (text file) and images in case anyone wants to do something similar. If you're already doing something similar I'd love to hear about it.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D117BF.E2586010]

Cheers!
Ahniwa

----