[LIBRARYDIR] wondering about a Better World (Books)...

Horton, Stan stan.horton at ghc.edu
Thu Mar 5 16:33:31 PST 2015

I know this sounds like arguing over the number of Angels on the head of pins, but such be rules and laws.

A number of years ago, our VPA determined that books we weeded from the collection, were deemed not to be "surplus," but something else (I believe it was "waste", but I'm not certain of the exact term.)  However, that put the entire problem under a whole new set of rules, including the right to just throw them away, sell them at a book sale, or sell them thru a vendor.  We do that last, and it works fine.  We certainly are not going to add a new wing to the  building, but at least we are rid of the things without the labor and clutter of running a book sale ourselves.

Stanley W. Horton
Associate Dean, Library, e-Learning, and Media Services
stan.horton at ghc.edu<mailto:stan.horton at ghc.edu>
360 538-4050
The John Spellman Library
1620 Edward P. Smith Drive