[LIBRARYDIR] ELC report for today

Fuhrman, Tim timf at bigbend.edu
Fri Feb 27 11:36:19 PST 2015

Sorry.  I'm using someone else's computer today and weird things are happening.  Even after I edited the document it put and email link right back in.  Here it is in a harder to use version.  Sorry. - Tim

ELC REPORT

Canvas Commons is a great new resource being rolled out by Instructure. When that is introduced to all Canvas users could be a valuable repository for OER.

>From Zach BBCC’s eLearning Coordinator:

I showed this video at the Brownbag and it went over well: http://guides.instructure.com/m/4210/l/274055-meet-canvas-commons-video

This feature adds a tiny button next to every Module and Course.
Clicking the button allows you to share the material in one of three ways:

1. With yourself (so you don't have to deal with the import/export system)

2. With all the instructors at Big Bend (so you can share easily with your department and build a knowledge base for future courses)

3. With all Canvas instructors (so you can get in on OER.

more info…https://docs.google.com/a/instructure.com/document/d/1-s5S9yfL8VddpTG7m7XE4q_iapYwh2qrqOzJgrm6im4/edit#heading=h.xwgci4mqafuq

Be aware of HB 1958.  http://app.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=1958&year=2015

Here is an article about it. http://www.thenewstribune.com/2015/02/15/3638176_expensive-college-textbooks-targeted.html?rh=1
 If passed, the $100 textbook limit would have an impact on eLearning, libraries, and really all of the institution.

The Building Bridges conference is coming up next month in Spokane.  http://www.buildingbridgeswatech.com/

(JJ Johnson – ELC Chair) “I support the new state-wide library system effort. Sue Kennedy gave a good report at the IC meeting earlier this month.”

ELC is looking for easy/affordable ways to add closed captioning to our recordings. A statewide solution would be preferred.

Tim Fuhrman - timf at bigbend.edu
Dean of Library Resources, Dev. Education, and eLearning
7662 Chanute St, Moses Lake, WA 98837