[LIBRARYDIR] RE: Students and the Affordable Health Care Act

Luce, Monica MLUCE at highline.edu
Fri Sep 27 16:31:40 PDT 2013

I know nothing specifically related to students, but I noted that the latest WSL news email included this item:

3) IS YOUR LIBRARY READY FOR OBAMACARE?

Public libraries across the country are preparing for October 1, when open enrollment for the Affordable Care Act (aka, ObamaCare) begins. There are a variety of resources available to help libraries provide information on the Act to their patrons.

The newest WLA (Washington Library Association) interest group, SAIL (Serving Adults in Libraries) has launched a web page devoted to resources for the Affordable Care Act. WebJunction has a page devoted to the topic, and ALA and IMLS are also providing resources. A previous Updates article pointed to a resource page from the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM) which focuses on resources for the Pacific NW region. Here are the links for those resources:

*         WLA SAIL: www.wla.org/sail-resources<http://www.wla.org/sail-resources>;

*         WebJunction: sos.wa.gov/q/WebJ-Act<http://sos.wa.gov/q/WebJ-Act>;

*         ALA/IMLS: sos.wa.gov/q/ALA-IMLS<http://sos.wa.gov/q/ALA-IMLS>;

*         NNLM: nnlm.gov/pnr/ACA.html<http://nnlm.gov/pnr/ACA.html>;

A press release from the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid services (cms.gov<http://cms.gov/>) indicates that only properly trained individuals should actually fill out the enrollment forms for people. Library staff should NOT fill out the forms for patrons unless they have had this training. See sos.wa.gov/q/CMS<http://sos.wa.gov/q/CMS> for more information.

Monica