quick poll, please respond FW: [LIBRARYDIR] RE: Online andFace to Face IT Academy Training

Horton, Stan shorton at ghc.edu
Thu Sep 26 10:58:01 PDT 2013

My main concern isn't taking the training-it's the fact that if it requires 3 hours, it would seem something is expected of us in our support role that I'm not aware of.  Jennifer mentions generating codes-which is something I did not pick up on earlier, but also isn't a big deal.

I want GHC to participate, and I want it to be a positive service to our community.  I just can't afford surprises.  And at this point I can't help but worry that something isn't making the communications leap into my brain.

Let's face it, we deal with dozens of various databases and e-resources every day without anywhere near this type of training, and do so successfully.  What's out there that make this so different?  What expectation am I not seeing?  Most importantly, what level of staff training and work load adjustment do I need to provide, that I'm not currently planning for?  The next step in incorporating this into our services is long past the "why is this needed?" or "here's what the program entails", so spending time on those in a training session is neither necessary nor desirable.  All we care about right now is "how do we do it?"  And if answering that question requires that much training, there is something unexpected going on.

Call me paranoid if you will, but I need to understand what's required to make this work.

Stan