[LIBRARYDIR] Invitation to IT Academy Media Launch

Simmons, Rand rand.simmons at sos.wa.gov
Tue Oct 8 16:38:11 PDT 2013

You received a message from Jeff Martin regarding the media launch for
the Washington State Library Microsoft IT Academy on September 12
(Bellevue Public Library) and September 13 (Spokane Public Library).

This is a statewide media launch and we fully expect articles about the
Academy to appear in local newspapers on the days of the launch or soon
thereafter. While we will acknowledge that the CTCs will implement the
Academy in January we anticipate that members of your community may
learn about the Academy and as your staff about it.

Please have staff prepared answer questions about when they can sign up
for classes and how your library will participate in the IT Academy.

Please let your staff know that we will need success stories - anecdotes
- telling how the IT Academy has changed lives, whether in becoming
digitally literate and being able to keep in touch with family through
email, in gaining skills used to get a job or gain a promotion, or in
attaining a certification. Send those success stories to me or our
project manager. (We are hiring a project manager soon and will send you
contact information.)

We anticipate great things from the Washington State Library Microsoft
IT Academy. It will be a winning effort for Washington libraries, for
the Washington State Library, for Microsoft and for the legislature.

Warm regards,

Rand

Rand Simmons, Ph.D., State Librarian

Library Division | Office of the Secretary of State

(360) 570-5585 desk phone | (360) 790-1392 cell | (360) 586-7575 fax

rand.simmons at sos.wa.gov <mailto:rsimmons at secstate.wa.gov>

Washington State Library: Empowering 21st Century Washington