[LIBRARYDIR] Copyright Alert System

Mindy Coslor Mindy.Coslor at skagit.edu
Fri Mar 1 14:49:26 PST 2013

I've been hearing about the Copyright Alert System on NPR all week and
realized this could impact us.  The Center for Copyright Information was
set up to educate and warn copyright violators of online content.  They
created the Copyright Alert System to send a series of 6 alerts to
violators.  Below are two e-mails I sent to my campus.  One caveat to
what I said below is that not all open wifi networks will be affected.
Starbucks and other large open public wifi will be exempt from this new
system.  Small businesses, however, will be categorized as personal
accounts and not exempt.

Hi everyone,

Without the lengthy explanation below, the bottom line of the new
Copyright Alert System is:  if you download copyrighted music, films, or
potentially other copyrighted materials, without paying for them, you
may receive a series of alerts that, if ignored, could result in loss of
internet access.  This could affect others if you use wireless networks
such as SVC's or Starbucks [these two examples are apparently not true
based on other reports], or a shared home wireless [this is true].  It
also means that if someone else on your wireless network violates
copyright law, you could be innocently affected.

More details below.

Mindy Coslor

Copyright Officer &

Director of Library Services

Skagit Valley College

mcoslor at skagit.edu

Dear SVC employees and students,

You may have heard recently about the new Copyright Alert System.  It
was implemented this past Monday, February 25, with the goal of making
internet users aware when they may have violated copyright laws.  The
Center for Copyright Information is an organization with members of the
Recording Industry Association of America, the Motion Picture
Association of America, the Independent Film and Television Alliance,
the American Association of Independent Music, AT&T, Cablevision,
Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and Verizon.

The goal of the Center for Copyright Information is to educate the
public about copyright infringement (or piracy) by instituting a series
of six warnings when copyrighted online content (e.g. movies and music)
is downloaded inappropriately.  The copyright holders must identify the
violation and notify the internet provider, who then sends a series of
notices to the internet customer.  Warnings one and two are intended to
notify the consumer that their activity has been noticed by copyright
holders.  The next two alerts requires the consumer to acknowledge that
they have seen the notices.  The final two notices result in downgrades
to services:  if the customer does not change his/her behavior, the
internet provider may reduce internet speed, downgrade the internet
service tier, or limit access to the internet for a period of time.

There are several concerns voiced by consumer groups: this may be a
threat to open WiFi since everyone using a shared access point may be
affected by mitigation actions.  Sharing an internet connection, your
account password, or having your password stolen may result in your
service being affected by the behavior of others.

For more information about the Copyright Alert System and what to do if
you receive an alert , please click on the link:
http://www.copyrightinformation.org/the-copyright-alert-system/

Please share this information broadly.

Thank you.

mcoslor at skagit.edu