[GuidedPathways] seeking NSO info/stories

Nulty, Brigid C. bnulty at shoreline.edu
Mon Mar 6 10:53:57 PST 2023

Hello all...
Seeking info, research (formal or informal), and "lessons learned" regarding New Student Orientation. I realize there are many different models out there, but we're exploring two options: one that comes very early in the onboarding experience and one that comes later.

Model 1: Right after acceptance to the college, to educate/coach/guide students through the onboarding process. Think: financial aid, transcripts, placement, confirming (or exploring) areas of study. Goal is to get students prepped and ready for intake-advising appointments to pick first term courses.

Model 2: After the onboarding steps of funding, placement, area of study (students would be supported by a team of navigators)... have students then come do an orientation focuses more on learning about support resources (counseling, library, tutoring, career center), connecting with peers, dept'l faculty. Could occur concurrent with or after intake-advising appointments to pick first term courses.

If you have lesson learned, insights to offer, please get in touch!

BRIGID NULTY

She/Her

Director of Guided Pathways

Shoreline Community College