[GuidedPathways] Cheers for Dr. Farhana Loonat: Invitation to be one of SOAS University of London's list of Contemporary Women Philosophers.

Claudine Richardson crichardson at sbctc.edu
Tue Aug 30 16:45:44 PDT 2022

Dear Guided Pathways Family,

I think one of the most rewarding opportunities is to see others thrive. When you do good, we all do good, which means positive opportunities are around the corner for all of us (individually, collectively, and as a system wanting equity opportunities for our students and team members). Thus, with great delight, I share that Dr. Farhana Loonat, tenured faculty member and department chair of Political Science and Philosophy at Skagit Valley College, was recently added to the SOAS University of London's list of Contemporary Women Philosophers. As such, Dr. Loonat has been invited to present their scholarship on equity in U.S. higher education as part of SOAS University of London's Contemporary Women Philosophers Speaker Series. Wow!!!!

Please consider joining Dr. Loonat on Thursday, September 15th, from 8:00 to 10:00 AM (PST) for In the Age of Trump: Promoting Equity over Equality in Speech. If you would like to support Dr. Loonat by attending their presentation, please feel free to register at: https://soas-ac-uk.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIlfumvqDkiG9LBBgAIFWcxMYYe20yRwRiG.

Abstract
Politics in the age of Trump generate a heightened need for those committed to social justice to distribute their time and attention to communication in line with equity rather than equality. While freedom of speech and equality are cherished liberal democratic values, institutions within democracies that are attentive to the histories that produce unequal outcomes, tend to privilege equity over equality in principle. Equality requires that we treat individuals from all groups alike; equity practitioners recognize that individuals from historically marginalized groups may have needs that those from dominant groups do not. When we treat all speech as equal, we privilege and amplify interests that do not need amplification. Moreover, speech that supports dominant groups' interests, harms individuals from marginalized groups - racial battle fatigue negatively affects the mental and physical health of racial minorities. Equity commitments require that we allocate more time and attention to amplifying speech that affirms and re-inscribes marginalized groups' interests and encourages individuals from dominant groups to listen attentively and compassionately to the interests and needs of individuals from subordinated groups. The equity in communication that follows may reduce power differentials between dominant and marginalized groups and ameliorate harms that accrue to marginalized individuals.

Well done, Dr. Loonat.

SOAS University of London ranks 8th in the United Kingdom and 44th globally. For more about SOAS University of London, visit https://www.soas.ac.uk/.

The value of your personal time is priceless; please feel obliged not to reply to this email outside of your working hours.

Respectfully and Humbly,

Claudine Richardson, Ph.D., M.S., M.P.A.
Pronouns: they |them |theirs
Policy Associate | Student Success Center and Strategic Initiatives
Equity and Accountability Professional Development in Guided Pathways
PO Box 42495 | 1300 Quince Street SE | Olympia | WA | 98504
crichardson at sbctc.edu<mailto:crichardson at sbctc.edu> | c. 509.230.3690
sbctc.edu * Twitter: @SBCTCWashington * Facebook: @WASBCTC

Registration is OPEN for "An Ethic of Care: Beyond Empowerment for Our Students, Faculty, and Staff": https://bit.ly/3LF3y5x.

The Strategic Initiatives and Student Success Center Team is working remotely. We are always enthused to support and be of assistance.

SBCTC Vision: "Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."