[GuidedPathways] Review and Register: 2022 Spring Guided Pathways Student Success Institute

Claudine Richardson crichardson at sbctc.edu
Mon Apr 4 12:24:21 PDT 2022

Dear Community and Technical Colleges Colleagues,

Hello! Can you believe it is April already? Do you know what that means? Yes, the 2022 Spring Guided Pathways Student Success Institute, on Wednesday, April 13, 2022, will be here in no time. I am including the link to the online agenda here https://bit.ly/34IiSPD.

We currently have over 280 participants registered for the 2022 Spring Student Success Institute and 4 colleges pending registration. Special thanks to the colleges who decided to send a team of 12 or more members - even though they have an upcoming Board of Trustee meeting.

Expanding your invitation to your campus:

Some of you may have seen the suggested team composition. As this event is held virtually (via Zoom), there is no travel cost. Thus, it serves as an amazing opportunity to expand and invite team members who have not attended a Guided Pathways Institute or Retreat. Please consider inviting your Multicultural Student Services Directors to the Institute. Also, please consider inviting BIPOC members, staff, and faculty to the Spring Student Success Institute. Reason: They serve on hiring committees and are eager to know the ways these practices influence student success.

Guided Pathways College Clusters:

We will be working in Guided Pathways College Clusters. Please reference the link, prior to the event, to determine which cluster you will be joining: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1D8IjLC4w-kdBnyLtRTas6kLEZzlTI_fULiv3g2ErBs8/edit?usp=sharing

Please find the information contained in the learning agenda below:

Registration Link: https://www.sbctc.edu/calendar.aspx?trumbaEmbed=eventid%3D157227894%26seotitle%3DGP-Spring-Student-Success-Institute%26view%3Devent%26-childview%3D

Registration Closes on Monday, April 4, 2022 (registration expanded to Wednesday, April 6, 2022 to encourage registration)

College Contact:

*       Vice President of Learning/Instruction coordinates selection and registration of the college team at the respective institution.

SBCTC Lead: Claudine Richardson (crichardson at sbctc.edu<mailto:crichardson at sbctc.edu>)

Speakers: Dr.Tia McNair Brown, Dr. Katie Clemons, Dr. Valerie Hunt, Dr. Chelsia Berry, Olajiwon K McCadney, Dr. Vik Bahl, Jan Yoshiwara, Ha Nguyen, and you

Suggested Team Composition:

*       Instruction & Student Services Leadership, Institutional Research Representative, Chairs, Deans, Multicultural Director, Diversity and Equity Officer, faculty, student services directors, Human Resources. Teams of 10-12 per college.

*       We know how extremely busy you are at this time. Please consider a pre-institute conversation to support ways your respective college would like to be represented at each concurrent session.

Introduction:

*       Welcome to the 2022 Spring Guided Pathways Student Success Institute agenda. We really had the opportunity to listen to your feedback from the 2021 Fall Guided Pathways Retreat and the 2022 Winter Guided Pathways Cohort Retreat. In these past retreats, we and the research recognize there is a correlation between student, faculty, and staff success. Also, the deep connection SB 5227 and 5194 for the Guided Pathways (HB2158) Essential Practices. Thus, we are focusing on ways we can support continued and new faculty and staff in their access, access + success, and their success. *This is an advanced facilitation to the SBCTC Equity Diversity and Inclusion office conversations that took place in March 2022.

Learning Outcomes:

*       Engage leaders from Washington's community and technical colleges in conversations to consider the question: What does racial equity in student success look like as a mirror to faculty and staff success in the areas of outreach, recruitment, campus learning communities, onboarding, retention, and promotion?

*       Consider the depth of equitable onboarding in the faculty and staff experience through an action planning experience

Location/Room: Virtual. A zoom link will be sent before the event and through the Canvas shell for participants.

Closed Captioning:

*       Live transcription will be available in main Zoom sessions.

*       We will have (American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreters present for all sessions. Please let us know if you require an ASL Interpreter during the breakout room activity.

*       Please email amontenegro at sbctc.edu<mailto:amontenegro at sbctc.edu> around March 24, 2022, so we might provide the best possible opportunity to support collective and individual learning.

Pre-attendance Request:

o   Before the arrival of the retreat, please modify Zoom name to show [College Cluster<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1D8IjLC4w-kdBnyLtRTas6kLEZzlTI_fULiv3g2ErBs8/edit?usp=sharing> | Name | Pronouns]. How to rename yourself in Zoom instructions: https://bit.ly/3tX2Nj1RenameinZoomAccount

Spring Guided Pathways Student Success Institute Agenda for Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Time                                  Agenda Topic

8:15-8:30 AM:                 Care and Check-in

8:30-9:00 AM:                 Welcome, Centering & Introductions

9:00-10:30 AM:               Plenary: From Equity Talk to Equity Walk with Dr. Tia

McNair Brown, AACU (This facilitation will not be recorded)

10:30 -10:45 AM:           Break

10:45-12:00 PM:             Concurrent Session:

1A Session: Creating Learning Communities for Leading with Equity with Dr. Katie Clemons

10:45-12:00 PM               Concurrent Session:

1B Session: Developing Department-Specific Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA's) for Racial Equity in Hiring with Dr. Vik Bahl

12:00-1:00 PM                 Lunch (on your own)

1:00-2:20 PM                   Concurrent Session:

2A Session: Building Search Committees with an Equity Mindset with Dr. Valerie Hunt and Dr. Chelsia Berry

1:00-2:20 PM                   Concurrent Session:

2B Session: Creating Intentional Mentorship and Sponsorship for Faculty and Staff with Olajiwon McCadney

2:20 - 2:30 PM                Break

2:30-3:00 PM                   Wrap-up and Closing Thoughts

Thank you so much and we look forward to seeing and engaging with you soon.

The value of your personal time is priceless, please feel obliged to not reply to this email outside of your working hours.

Respectfully and Humbly,

[signature_198601869]Claudine Richardson, Ph.D., M.S., M.P.A.
Pronouns: they |them |theirs
Policy Associate | Student Success Center
PO Box 42495 | 1300 Quince Street SE | Olympia | WA | 98504
crichardson at sbctc.edu<mailto:crichardson at sbctc.edu> | c. 509.230.3690
sbctc.edu * Twitter: @SBCTCWashington * Facebook: @WASBCTC

Spring 2022 Guided Pathway Student Success Institute Condensed Agenda: https://bit.ly/34IiSPD

The Strategic Initiatives and Student Success Center Team is working remotely. We are always enthused to support and be of assistance.

SBCTC Vision: "Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."