[GuidedPathways] Registration is Open for the 2022 Spring Student Success Institute on Wednesday, April 13th

Claudine Richardson crichardson at sbctc.edu
Tue Mar 8 09:30:50 PST 2022

Dear CTC Family,

Hello and hope this day finds your heart happy. The 2022 Spring Guided Pathway Student Success Institute will be held on Wednesday, April 13, 2022 virtually (Zoom). We are honored to welcome your colleagues from across the CTC's to lead us. We are also excited to welcome Dr. Tia McNair Brown (co-author of From Equity Talk to Equity Walk). As finals, Spring Break approaches, and preparing for Spring term upon us, we want to ensure we are supporting you ability to register early.

Agenda Schedule Below. Agenda can also be accessed at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T7KmmWmhy8X9hRoRAEOQuwdVQaXhsd5-1ZNOUUptL5U/edit?usp=sharing

Registration Link: https://www.sbctc.edu/calendar.aspx?trumbaEmbed=eventid%3D157227894%26seotitle%3DGP-Spring-Student-Success-Institute%26view%3Devent%26-childview%3D

Time                                  Agenda Topic
8:15-8:30 AM:                 Care and Check-in
8:30-9:00 AM:                 Welcome, Centering & Introductions
9:00-10:30 AM:               Plenary: From Equity Talk to Equity Walk with Dr. Tia McNair Brown, AACU (This facilitation will not be recorded)
10:30 -10:45 AM:           Break
10:45-12:00 PM:             Concurrent Session:
1A Session: Creating Learning Communities for Leading with Equity with Dr. Katie Clemons
10:45-12:00 PM               Concurrent Session:
1B Session: Developing Department-Specific Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion KSA's for Racial Equity in Hiring with Dr. Vik Bahl
12:00-1:00 PM                 Lunch (on your own)
1:00-2:20 PM                   Concurrent Session:
2A Session: Building Search Committees with an Equity Mindset with Dr. Valerie Hunt and Dr. Chelsia Berry
1:00-2:20 PM                   Concurrent Session:
2B Session: Creating Intentional Mentorship and Sponsorship for Faculty and Staff with Olajiwon McCadney
2:20 - 2:30 PM                Break
2:30-3:00 PM                   Wrap-up and Closing Thoughts

Some might wonder why this and why now. I would ask why not now? We planned this session in October 2021 in support of the multiple legislative bills (SB 5227 and 5194 and HB2158) and connect (what you already know) - student success is supported by faculty and staff success. Many of you may have noticed a national conversation on leading with racial equity for student success. We have also heard the research sharing to support student success, we must continue to consider what this might mean for faculty and staff success.

More recently, these conversations were highlighted at the Achieving the Dream Conference on February 17th by Dr. Paul Hernandez - (Achieving the Dream Senior Advisor) and by Dr. Estela Bensimon on February 14th, who asked us to not be racially evasive in closing institutional equity gaps. Part of this collective lift means recognizing that racial equity gaps in higher education are expressed at various levels for those who serve each other and our students.

Dr. Paul Hernandez asks us to recognize that student success must mean faculty and staff success - as we often model what we practice. That we must look inward to challenge ourselves and I personally am so happy to see all of us, across the Community and Technical Colleges, boldly accepting and owning that challenge.

Consequently, State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC) Strategic Initiatives and Student Success Center is proud to partner with the SBCTC Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to promote continued self-reflection, humility, and vulnerability by highlighting a tiny fraction of the tremendous work across the state and country.

Thank you for your contribution and continued support to actualize historic legislative bills, the professional development needed to realize the Guided Pathways essential practices, and the critical moral imperative to continue leading with racial equity to build collaboration and cross-department learning to recognize Previlege and Power (Constellations Framework).
The value of your personal time is priceless, please feel obliged to not reply to this email outside of your working hours.

Respectfully and Humbly,

Claudine Richardson, Ph.D., M.S., M.P.A.
Pronouns: they |them |theirs
Policy Associate | Student Success Center
PO Box 42495 | 1300 Quince Street SE | Olympia | WA | 98504
crichardson at sbctc.edu<mailto:crichardson at sbctc.edu> | c. 509.230.3690
sbctc.edu * Twitter: @SBCTCWashington * Facebook: @WASBCTC

SBCTC Vision: "Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."