[GuidedPathways] FW: Registration for BIPOC Pre-College English Teacher Community of Practice and Care

Monica Wilson mwilson at sbctc.edu
Thu Feb 24 12:37:18 PST 2022

Greetings,

Please see the message below and share widely for participation in the BIPOC Pre-college English Techers (PCET) Faculty Community Practice and Care. Registration closes today, but I am confident there is some flexibility for faculty who would like to participate.

Best,

Monica

[Compass]Monica Wilson (she|her|hers)<https://medium.com/gender-inclusivit/why-i-put-pronouns-on-my-email-signature-and-linkedin-profile-and-you-should-too-d3dc942c8743>
Director, Student Success Center & Strategic Initiatives
p 360-704-1022 | e: mwilson at sbctc.edu<mailto:mwilson at sbctc.edu> | website: www.sbctc.edu<http://www.sbctc.edu/>

COVID REMOTE LEARNING RESOURCES - AVAILABLE HERE<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/student-success-center/remote-learning-resources.aspx>

                                                                                           SBCTC Vision
                         "Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives
                          within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice
                         in service to our diverse communities."

This message is being sent on behalf of MarcusAntonio Gunn

We are excited to announce an exciting opportunity for Black, Indigenous, and other faculty of color who teach pre-college English in the Washington community and technical college system.  Please share this invitation with the BIPOC faculty in your programs.

Purpose

The BIPOC Pre-College English Teachers (PCET) Faculty Community of Practice and Care centers BIPOC pre-college English faculty, especially those who are looking for a courageous, critical space to disrupt colonization and transform the field, are committed to deepening their equity centered practice and are seeking to cultivate community in the work of transforming and reimagining teaching and learning.

For BIPOC English faculty at predominantly white institutions, discourses about anti-racist pedagogy are consistently designed for our white peers and held in white spaces that often harm us or use our personal experiences and insights as teaching tools. As such, it is difficult for us to find professional opportunities that center our unique struggle to reconcile our systematically-marginalized racial and ethnic identities with hegemonic practices of teaching English writing. The BIPOC PCET Community of Practice, therefore, seeks to fill an important need. In our Community of Practice and Care we will delve into the following questions posed by Dr. Suhanthie Motha<https://english.washington.edu/people/suhanthie-motha> in her book, Race, Empire, and English Language Teaching: Creating Responsible and Ethical Anti-Racist Practice<https://english.washington.edu/research/publications/race-empire-and-english-language-teaching>:

What does it mean to become an English teacher in a global context in which English(es) carry tremendous cultural and social capital economic power? How do teachers support their students' access to privileged forms of English while maintaining a critical eye toward the legacy of colonization and racialization in which the profession is embedded? How is the broader international terrain of the profession relevant to practices within the walls of one individual classroom (and vice versa)? How can teachers negotiate the racialized nature of the English language as they are teaching it, remaining mindful that the historical connection between the spread of the English language and the international political power of people who are identified as "White" has resulted in a messy intertwining of English and Whiteness? How does teachers' consciousness of their own racial identities become salient in their practice?"

Time Commitments

Quarterly asynchronous and synchronous opportunities for engagement from through Spring 2022. Winter 2022 dates include:

  *   Canvas connection space available starting February 21, 2022
  *   Live Zoom session on Tuesday, March 1st from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
  *   Live Zoom session on Wednesday, March 2nd from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm

How to Join

Click here to register<https://forms.gle/ZuRiYKAdhcxSCMzo8>. The registration form includes contact information, a short paragraph introducing yourself and your reasons for wanting to be part of this community of practice and care. The deadline for registration is February 24th.

Facilitators

  *   Zahra Alavi (she/her)

     *   Associate Professor of English Language at South Seattle College

  *   Carolina Forero (she/her/ella)

     *   Associate Professor of English Language at Seattle Central College

  *   Stephanie Khan (she/her)

     *   Professor of English Language at Tacoma Community College

  *   Inés Poblet (she, her, ella)

     *   Associate Professor ESLA Program, Whatcom Community College

  *   Latoya Reid (she/her)

     *   Professor of Developmental Studies at Tacoma Community College

  *   Sajonna Sletten (she/her)

     *   Assoc. Professor of ESL, Bellevue College

  *   Dr. Suhanthie Motha (she/her)

     *   Associate Professor Department of English, University of Washington

  *   MarcusAntonio Gunn(he/she | his/hers)

     *   Interim, Policy Associate for Basic Education for Adults
     *   Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges
     *   magunnn at sbctc.edu<mailto:magunnn at sbctc.edu>

  *   Monica Wilson (she/her/hers)

     *   Director of Student Success Center & Strategic Initiatives, Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges
     *   mwilson at sbctc.edu<mailto:mwilson at sbctc.edu>

[Compass]MarcusAntonio Gunn (he/she|his/hers|him/her)<https://medium.com/gender-inclusivit/why-i-put-pronouns-on-my-email-signature-and-linkedin-profile-and-you-should-too-d3dc942c8743>

Interim, Policy Associate, Basic Education for Adults

Equity, Diversity & Inclusion | Professional Development

p 360-704-4362 | e: magunn at sbctc.edu<mailto:magunn at sbctc.edu> | website: www.sbctc.edu<http://www.sbctc.edu/>