[GuidedPathways] Registration is Open for the 2022 Spring Guided Pathways Student Success Institute

Claudine Richardson crichardson at sbctc.edu
Thu Feb 17 20:27:01 PST 2022

Dear Community and Technical College Family,

We are happy to announce registration is now open for the 2022 Spring Student Success Institute, on Wednesday, April 13, 2022, at College System and SBCTC Calendar<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T7KmmWmhy8X9hRoRAEOQuwdVQaXhsd5-1ZNOUUptL5U/edit>. Many of you may have noticed a national conversation on leading with racial equity for student success. We have also heard the research sharing to support student success, we must begin to consider what this might mean for faculty and staff success.

More recently, these conversations were highlighted at the Achieving the Dream Conference on February 17th by Dr. Paul Hernandez - (Achieving the Dream Senior Advisor) and by Dr. Estela Bensimon on February 14th, who asked us to not be racially evasive in closing institutional equity gaps. Part of this collective lift means recognizing that racial equity gaps in higher education are expressed at various levels for those who serve each other and our students.

Dr. Paul Hernandez asks us to recognize that student success must mean faculty and staff success - as we often model what we practice. That we must look inward to challenge ourselves and I personally am so happy to see all of us, across the Community and Technical Colleges, boldly accepting and owning that challenge.

Consequently, State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC) Strategic Initiatives and Student Success Center is proud to partner with the SBCTC Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to promote continued self-reflection, humility, and vulnerability by highlighting a tiny fraction of the tremendous work across the state and country.

Thank you for your contribution and continued support to actualize historic legislative bills, the professional development needed to realize the Guided Pathways essential practices, and the critical moral imperative to continue leading with racial equity to build collaboration and cross-department learning to recognize Together We Climb (Constellation Framework).

Guided Pathways Student Success Institute

Condensed Agenda

Retreat Date: Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Location: Zoom (Virtual)

Bitly Link for Google Agenda document<Google%20Agenda%20document>: https://bit.ly/34IiSPD

Registration Link: College System and SBCTC Calendar for the 2022 Guided Pathway Student Success Institute Registration<https://www.sbctc.edu/calendar.aspx?trumbaEmbed=eventid%3D157227894%26seotitle%3DGP-Spring-Student-Success-Institute%26view%3Devent%26-childview%3D>

Registration Closes on Monday, April 4, 2022

College Contact:

*       Vice President of Learning/Instruction coordinates selection and registration of the college team at the respective institution.

SBCTC Lead: Claudine Richardson (crichardson at sbctc.edu<mailto:crichardson at sbctc.edu>)
Speakers: Dr. Tia McNair Brown, more to come
Suggested Team Composition:

*       Instruction & Student Services Leadership, Institutional Research Representative, Chairs, Deans, Multicultural Director, Diversity and Equity Officer, faculty, student services directors. Teams of 10-12 per college.

Introduction:
Welcome to the 2022 Spring Guided Pathways Student Success Institute. We really had the opportunity to listen to your feedback from the 2021 Fall Guided Pathways Retreat and the 2022 Winter Guided Pathways Cohort Retreat. In these past retreats, we and the research recognize there is a correlation between student, faculty, and staff success. Also, the deep connection SB 5227 and 5194 for the Guided Pathways (HB2158) Essential Practices. Thus, we are focusing on ways we can support continued and new faculty and staff in their access, access + success, and their success. *This is an advanced facilitation to the SBCTC EDI office conversations that take place in March 2022.
Learning Outcomes:

*       Engage leaders from Washington's community and technical colleges in conversations to consider the question: What does racial equity in student success look like as a mirror to faculty and staff success in the areas of outreach, recruitment, campus learning communities, onboarding, retention, and promotion?

*       Consider the depth of equitable onboarding in the faculty and staff experience through an action planning experience

Location/Room: A zoom link will be sent before the event and through the Canvas shell for participants.
Closed Captioning:

*       Live transcription will be available in main Zoom sessions.

Pre-attendance Request:

o   Before the arrival of the retreat, please modify Zoom name to show [College Cluster | Name | Pronouns]. How to rename yourself in Zoom instructions: https://bit.ly/3tX2Nj1RenameinZoomAccount

Schedule: Wednesday, April 13th

Time

Agenda Topic

8:15-8:30AM

Care and Check-in

8:30-9:00AM

Welcome, Centering & Introductions

9:00-10:30AM

Plenary: From Equity Talk to Equity Walk

*     Dr. Tia McNair Brown, AACU

10:30 -10:45AM

Break

10:45-12:00PM

Concurrent Session:

*       1A Session: Creating Learning Communities for Leading with Equity

10:45-12:00PM

Concurrent Session:

*       1B Session: Developing Discipline Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion KSA's for a Diverse Hiring Pool

12:00-1:00PM

Lunch (on your own)

1:00-2:20PM

Concurrent Session:

*       2A Session: Building Search Committees with an Equity Mindset

1:00-2:20PM

Concurrent Session:

*       2B Session: Creating Intentional Mentorship and Sponsorship of Faculty and Staff

2:20 - 2:30PM

Break

2:30-3:00 PM

Wrap-up and Closing Thoughts

The value of your personal time is priceless, please feel obliged to not reply to this email outside of your working hours.

Respectfully and Humbly,

[signature_198601869]Claudine Richardson, Ph.D., M.S., M.P.A.
Pronouns: they |them |theirs
Policy Associate | Student Success Center
PO Box 42495 | 1300 Quince Street SE | Olympia | WA | 98504
crichardson at sbctc.edu<mailto:crichardson at sbctc.edu> | c. 509.230.3690
sbctc.edu * Twitter: @SBCTCWashington * Facebook: @WASBCTC

SBCTC Vision: "Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."