[GuidedPathways] Momentum video: Lets stop talking about diversity and start working towards equity, by Paloma Medina

Claudine Richardson crichardson at sbctc.edu
Thu Sep 23 15:14:28 PDT 2021

Dear All,

Happy September and welcome students and teams back to the Fall quarter! For most, if not all at the college, you are exhausted. I first want to acknowledge how hard you work and continue to work to better the student experience for all students. It's not a light lift by any means.  Thank you.

Second, I thought you could use something to smile and center the amazing work you continue to magnanimously execute.  Here is a humorous and grounding need case for equity as emotional and mental well-being, core need, a form of care, and belonging. It reminds us that we need to verbalize equity, make it ambitious, measurable, time-bound, and continuous. The TEDxPortland is called, Let's stop talking about diversity and start working towards equity, by Paloma Medina. The video reminds me that equity (the action, the outcome, the evaluation of continuous processes, the accountability, assessment, reflection, iterations) is not an aside to Guided Pathways work --- it is the work. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deYUUfak08Y. Thank you for continuing to choose and measure systematically for equity.

The value of your personal time is priceless, please feel obliged to not reply to this email outside of your working hours.

Respectfully and Humbly,

[signature_198601869]Claudine Richardson, Ph.D., M.S., M.P.A.
Pronouns: they |them |theirs
Policy Associate | Student Success Center
PO Box 42495 | 1300 Quince Street SE | Olympia | WA | 98504
crichardson at sbctc.edu<mailto:crichardson at sbctc.edu> | c. 509.230.3690
sbctc.edu • Twitter: @SBCTCWashington • Facebook: @WASBCTC

SBCTC Vision: “Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities.”