[GuidedPathways] Quick Read: Healing, Bearing Witness to Trauma and Resilience by Dr. Mays Imad

Claudine Richardson crichardson at sbctc.edu
Tue Sep 21 12:42:14 PDT 2021

Dear Family,

At the beginning of this month, we had a very powerful 2021 Fall Faculty Institute. I was humbled and moved by the presenters and the educators across the system who shared and gifted so much of their time to think of ways we can enhance centering student voices and experiences as a priority. Many thanks to our CTC sponsors.

As we all return to a new academic year, please consider reading, Pedagogy of Healing: Bearing Witness to Trauma and Resilience by Dr. Mays Imad. Link to article: https://bit.ly/3lKscqx. "Dr. Imad is suggesting 13 actions educators (and we are all educators) can take to help promote mental health before and during [the academic year]." - Inside Higher ED.

I recognize that some of us don't directly work with students. That's ok. The suggestions shared can be applied in enhancing and building relationships for healing with peers.

Thank you for leading the charge (within your sphere of influence) to decolonize your programing, curriculum, language, committees, and actions to create a greater sense of inclusion and care. This is work we can do at all levels - if the "me, I, and we" so choose to take the steps to move to equity consciousness (action).

The value of your personal time is priceless, please feel obliged to not reply to this email outside of your working hours.

Respectfully and Humbly,

[signature_198601869]Claudine Richardson, Ph.D., M.S., M.P.A.
Pronouns: they |them |theirs
Policy Associate | Student Success Center
PO Box 42495 | 1300 Quince Street SE | Olympia | WA | 98504
crichardson at sbctc.edu<mailto:crichardson at sbctc.edu> | c. 509.230.3690
sbctc.edu * Twitter: @SBCTCWashington * Facebook: @WASBCTC

SBCTC Vision: "Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."