[GuidedPathways] {Disarmed} Meaningful Integrative Learning Experiences for Learning Communities, First-Year Experiences, or Guided Pathways Programs

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Fri Apr 2 12:54:21 PDT 2021

Dear Friends and Colleagues:

Those of you who have known me for a long time know that I am passionate about student learning communities. When I was tenured English faculty at GRC, I co-taught several student learning communities (I'm dying to tell you how cool they were) and I served as chair of the Learning Communities Committee (I'm yearning to write more about that too). Those experiences provided me some of the best on-going, contextualized professional development I have ever experienced: I was forever transformed as a practitioner and as a human being.

Something some of you might not know: during the early days of Guided Pathways, when we were just beginning the conversation as a Washington State CTC system, I was struck by a core theme threading through learning communities, first-year experience, and guided pathways: INTEGRATED LEARNING.

What you don't want: a memoir/dissertation from me. I know. While I'm dying to share more ... I humbly suggest you skim through this FABULOUS retreat planned by the Washington Center for Improving Undergraduate Education. And note the price point: $25! WHAT?

  *   Faculty members Angela Rasmussen (English, Spokane) and Sharon Spence-Wilcox (Library, Seattle Central) will be co-facilitating a session on Designing Integrative Assignments: Leading Students to Transformative Learning. This kind of design work is fundamental to the fourth design principle of "Ensuring Student Learning on the Path." Plus, anything with faculty leaders Angela and Sharon (and they are together! in the same virtual room!) is always amazing. THIS topic with these two inspiring women? This session alone is worth the low, low, low cost.
  *   AND ... to get a chance to hear four of the past directors dialogue together about learning communities as a high-impact practice? I just can't even. Words fail me. But I'll just say this: I have MISSED JOYE HARDIMAN. So here's a chance to reconnect with Dr. Hardiman's wisdom, generosity, and brilliance. And if you haven't had a chance to learn through Dr. Hardiman's amazing gifts as a storyteller ... now is your chance! What are you waiting for? Sign up already!

I'll end with this: the Curriculum Planning Retreat is a long-standing institution for the time and space and structure to be inspired and PLAN in response to that feeling of "WOW. Mind blown, heart expanded, imagination on fire."

  *   Then: In 2012 (2013?) I attended this retreat when I was English faculty at Clark with my then-colleague William Durden: we were planning an I-BEST course that I never got to teach because I ended up accepting my current role at SBCTC. One of the silver linings of COVID is that now this retreat, being virtual, means that more people can access this unique opportunity. For $25!
  *   Now: And because I can't say enough about this line-up ... my now-colleague William Durden, our director of Basic Education for Adults (BEdA), is presenting on team teaching with faculty member Matt Scammell. Having worked with both Will and Matt for literally over a decade ... their presentation will also be wonderful, I can assure you.

I'm signing up RIGHT NOW, and I hope you will too ... and then tell me, after you have a FABULOUS experience, that I was right. 🙂 Just kidding.

What I'm more interested in ... how might integrated learning that leads with racial equity drive your guided pathways redesign in ways that create a culture of belonging that maximizes student potential and transform lives? If I create a multifaceted Venn diagram with "Learning Communities," "Guided Pathways," "Leading with Racial Equity," and "Integrated Learning" ... what might show up in the middle?

I'm so excited about this retreat.

PHEW!

Peace,

Jen

PS-- I've never gotten to meet Barbara Leigh Smith, but I am totally inspired by the Native Case Studies<http://nativecases.evergreen.edu/> work she leads at TESC, which she began, to my understanding, while serving as the inaugural director of the Washington Center. I'm looking forward to being in her virtual presence for the first time!

[Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges compass]Jennifer Whetham (pronouns: she/her/hers)

Student Success Center & Strategic Initiatives | Policy Associate

Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC)

jwhetham at sbctc.edu<mailto:jwhetham at sbctc.edu> • o: 360-704-4354 • c: 206-310-1291

Join a STEM Community of Practice<https://bit.ly/2PHRW7z>

Antiracist Writing Assessment Ecology Grant: Read More<https://bit.ly/2CcZoo0>