[FYE-CSS] question for colleges implementing required college success courses

Swyt, Wendy WSWYT at highline.edu
Tue Feb 1 12:11:22 PST 2022

Hello everyone –

I hope that all of you are staying sane at this time. I teach at Highline College where we are gearing up to expand our college success course to a required aspect of the courses for all degree-seeking students.  We developed the college success course last year and are piloting a couple sections this year each quarter (enrollment based on desire or advisor recommendations), despite the generally low enrollments that we are all facing now.

We are nervously trying to figure out how we take this from an unrequired pilot with several sections a quarter to a required course for all degree-seeking students without a giant bottleneck of students or some sort of crash and burn outcome for College 101.

For those of you who are now at the full speed (all degree-seeking students required to take the college success course) I'd love to hear how you staged the ramp-up from "we are piloting this course" to "everyone needs to take it" -- was it staggered for different groups or did you just scale up from 5 miles an hour to 90 mph in one quarter?

You could respond to this listserv with a list like:

  1.  we required it for _____ and ____ as the first step.
  2.  As the second step, in the next quarter (or year) we required it for.....

Or if it is easier, you could shoot me an email and I could set up a quick zoom conversation soon?  (15-30 minutes) -- if so, let me know availability.

Thanks all!

Wendy Swyt
wswyt at highline.edu