[FYE-CSS] resources from today's meeting

Elizabeth Zitron EZitron at pierce.ctc.edu
Thu Dec 9 13:01:02 PST 2021

Here are a few resources based on what we discussed today. I'll schedule our winter get togethers soon and send out the dates/links.

Thanks to Kristin from Cascadia for sharing the course outcomes from their course.

Below find resources for starting anti-racist, labor based grading work in your classroom. They are from one of our English faculty but are applicable for our work:

  1.  Map your own assessment ecology. This comprehensive list of questions (here, pp. 284-291<https://wac.colostate.edu/docs/books/inoue/chapter5.pdf>, same link as above) is an excellent place to start (or to return) on the road to antiracist teaching.
  2.  Read/listen with us:

     *   Looking for a short read on combatting language prejudice in your classroom? Check out this article.<https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2021/01/27/how-professors-can-and-should-combat-linguistic-prejudice-their-classes-opinion?fbclid=IwAR2CQMi9TgQojFN-XjhdY0MKfWajq4SnzrrkFd3HU1_416MFFyi2wqHIioo>
     *   Interested in learning about “ungrading”?   Here’s a video of a seminar with <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER-tq2Ptc4o> Jesse Stommel<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER-tq2Ptc4o>
     *   If you’re looking for a good big-picture framing of equity-minded pedagogy (with some useful resources), this is a start: "Evidence-Based Practices" chapter from AtD's "Teaching and Learning Toolkit."<https://piercecollege-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/r/personal/hsmith_pierce_ctc_edu/Documents/Anti-Racist%20Writing%20Ecologies/Readings/T%26L%20Toolkit%20resources%20-%20Evidence-based%20practices.pdf?csf=1&web=1&e=Hiyx6U>
     *   Finally, many of us in the department are in ongoing discussions about Asao Inoue's Antiracist Writing Assessment Ecologies: Teaching and Assessing Writing for a Socially Just Future<https://wac.colostate.edu/books/perspectives/inoue/>
     *

be well, Lizz

 Lizz (Elizabeth) Zitron
 she/her/hers
Assistant Professor and Program Chair, College Success

Pierce College

p:      253-912-2353

a:      Cascade 519, 9401 Farwest Drive SW, Lakewood, WA  98498
w:      www.pierce.ctc.edu<http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/> e: ezitron at pierce.ctc.edu

[pierce college logo]
TOP 5 Community College in the Nation
[aspen prize for community college excellence rising star 2019 logo and achieving the dream leader college of distinction logo]