[Factc] Letter Regarding Faculty Conversions (WA SB 5194) from the Black Support and Solidarity Data Team

DEI WA CTCs dei.wa.ctcs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 17:05:52 PDT 2022

Hello everyone - This message is from the Constellations and Instruction
Workteam, in support of, and reminding everyone of, the Black Support and
Solidarity Data Team letter in regards to SB 5194. First and foremost,
thank you, Black Support and Solidarity Data Team for your leadership,
intentional response, and recommendations in implementing the Washington
State Senate Bill 5194. We know many of you across the system are right now
in the middle of operationalizing this bill on your campuses and in your
hiring process.

We, the Constellations and Instruction Workteam
<https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/10rhqv7ewhT8QTzJYDRgAShjb5lbICnSVwiqcLEfXvpE/edit>
as part of the DEI in WA CTCs Collective in partnership and inspired by the
call for action from the BSS Data team, want to remind us all of the tools
and resources offered to us in the BSS Data team’s previous email.

1. If your campus has “asks” from Black student groups or college caucuses,
we encourage you to consider these as part of the criteria for how
positions may be allocated at your institution. We also encourage you to
consider the 2020-22 WA CTC Research Action Plan to Dismantle Systemic
Racism: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12bx76Wuumfs3rS5sn6t2jXQwIhKr2yJq

2. You will also find that Oregon State University’s Search Advocate
Program has an array of information that will support staff, faculty, and
students’ preparation for representation on hiring committees:
https://searchadvocate.oregonstate.edu

3. You are all familiar with DEHPD’s (Diversity and Equity in Hiring and
Professional Development) 17 Steps in the Hiring Process: Potential
Barriers and Best Practices:
https://www.governor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/DiversityEquityHiringandDevelopment_03-21-2019.pdf

We believe in the power of this bill to contribute to the shift in our
campus culture to prioritizing justice and the communities we are here to
serve.

Thank you,

Co-Chairs

   -

   Amanda Chin, Library Faculty, Green River College
   -

   Ámbar Martinez, Equity Consultant, Washington State Board of Community
   and Technical Colleges (SBCTC)

Members

   -

   Marc Barrington, English Faculty, Green River College
   -

   Vicki Howell-Williams, Faculty Counselor/Advisor, Pierce College
   -

   Carolina Forero, English  Language Acquisition  Faculty, Seattle Central
   College
   -

   Xyanthe Neider, PhD, Director for Teaching & Learning, Whatcom

   -

   Michael Tuncap, WA CTC Faculty & Staff 2012-20, Researcher/ Consultant
   -

   Maribel Jiménez, Dean of Academic Transfer Pathways and Partnerships
   -

   Yesenia Rodriguez, Workforce Education Director, Yakima Valley
   -

   Jennifer Whetham, Policy Associate, Student Success Center | Strategic
   Initiatives, SBCTC