[Factc] (re)Imagine Equity with Parfait Bassalé: "Barriers & Keys to Belonging": January 22, 2021

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Mon Jan 11 11:52:14 PST 2021

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

As you may (or may not) know, the 2021 Washington State Summit, described below, has been cancelled. I am particularly disappointed because I was so excited to honor and celebrate the tremendous expertise and fantastic talents of our system colleague Parfait Bassalé, who was a featured presenter.

Mr. Bassalé currently serves as the director of Diversity Equity and inclusion at South Puget Sound Community College. I had the good fortune to experience a transformative session facilitated by Mr. Bassalé as part of an on-going series offered by our amazing SBCTC DEI committee<https://www.sbctc.edu/about/agency/mission-values/dei/dei-contact-info.aspx> to help SBCTC employees explore and embody our SBCTC vision<http://bit.ly/SBCTCVISION> to lead with racial equity.

Therefore, I am delighted to announce that on Friday, January 22, 2021, Mr. Bassalé will deliver a signature professional learning experience for educators in the Washington State CTC system.

Titled, "The Journey Home," Mr. Bassalé will explore barriers and keys to belonging. Afterwards, there will be breakout sessions to share antiracist practices and artifacts with like-minded colleagues. Please take a few moments to check out his website<https://www.parfaitbassale.com/> to learn more about the way Mr. Bassalé employs storytelling and performance to educate and enlighten.

This event has been designed by visionary, courageous, and brilliant volunteer English faculty who wish to convene their colleagues who teach first year composition (FYC): Kayleen Condrack-Caranto, Octaviano Gutiérrez, and Katrina Sire. While originally conceived of as part of the (de)Composing ENGL&101 movement<https://sbctc.instructure.com/courses/1537465>, Mr. Bassalé will create space for healing and inspiration suitable for anyone who wishes to gather with like-minded educators during this deeply troubled time ... especially those who teach and assess writing and wish to do so in ways that are actively antiracist.

I have registered: I hope to "see" many of you there.

Peace,

Jen

PS-- Want to share broadly with colleagues? This link has the one page version<http://bit.ly/3sh0rbu> of the e-mail below.

(re)Imagining Equity in Higher Education

Reconvene, Refresh, Reboot with Parfait Bassalé<https://www.parfaitbassale.com/>

Friday, January 22nd, 2021

9AM to 3PM

Register Now:  https://bit.ly/reImaginingWinter2021Registration

Short URL to this Document: http://bit.ly/3sh0rbu

Keynote Address

“The Journey Home: ‘Barriers & Keys to Belonging’”

Parfait Bassalé<https://www.parfaitbassale.com/>, Executive Diversity Officer, South Puget Sound Community College

Breakout Sessions

Antiracist practice and artifact share with discussions surrounding the role each of us can play in addressing institutional racism.

Registration Deadline

January 18, 2021

Cost

  *   $10 for part-time faculty/staff

  *   $15 for full-time faculty/staff

Note: Registration is being processed by Big Bend Community College and will include creating a free account on the BBCC Bookstore website.

Link to the event agenda: https://bit.ly/ReconveneRefreshReboot

Questions?

Email: Octaviano Gutiérrez, octavianog at bigbend.edu<mailto:octavianog at bigbend.edu>

[Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges compass]Jennifer Whetham (pronouns: she/her/hers)

Student Success Center | Policy Associate

Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC)

jwhetham at sbctc.edu<mailto:jwhetham at sbctc.edu> • o: 360-704-4354 • c: 206-310-1291

Join a STEM Community of Practice<https://bit.ly/2PHRW7z>

Antiracist Writing Assessment Ecology Grant: Read More<https://bit.ly/2CcZoo0>