[Factc] TODAY! Two "Lifeboat" Strategies Sessions for Faculty!

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Mon Mar 30 08:44:49 PDT 2020

Faculty! Are you looking for help, guidance, and practical strategies to get your first two weeks online up and running?

Teachers learn best from other teachers ... and we all learn from good examples!

Also ... no one should have to reinvent the wheel!

Enter ... the "Lifeboat" Sessions!

On Friday, GRC faculty member Marc Barrington did a fabulous job sharing his wisdom, expertise, and his course ... answering participant questions with grace and generosity ... and sharing his high quality materials so no one has to reinvent the wheel!

Marc will be offering another “Lifeboat Strategies” session today, Monday March 30th, at 11 AM.

Based on the needs of STEM educators that emerged during the session, I've also asked Bryce Battisti, Biology faculty at Bates, to do a special version for STEM faculty who teach lab courses. Bryce will be presenting today, Monday March 30th, at 1PM.

  1.
With Marc Barrington: Monday, March 30th, 11AM to 12:00 PM

  1.  With Bryce Battisti: Monday, March 30th, 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM

Just login to Jen’s Zoom Room: https://zoom.us/j/3948042446

Can't join live? Don't worry! We will record these sessions and post them to the Student Success Center website.

Please see below for more details and about upcoming sessions later this week.

Peace,

Jen

KISS Your Spring Quarter 2020: “Lifeboat" Strategies to Get Your Classes Online

Short URL to this Announcement: https://bit.ly/2QJHZXU

Are you a faculty member feeling the following?

  *   Completely Overwhelmed: How do I convert what I do in my physical classroom into an online classroom?

  *   Lack of Concrete Ideas: I’m not sure where to start or what exactly to do.

  *   Concern for Students: My students didn’t sign up for this! They might not have access to technology; they might not be comfortable with technology; what if they have kids at home or are completely stressed out about their basic survival?

  *   Concern for YOU!: My learning curve on this is HUGE! I’m in survival mode here. Plus I have kids at home!

Obviously, if you’ve never taught online before, you’re not expected to magically produce a perfect fully online course in 2 weeks-- even under ideal circumstances (which, obviously, these are not).

As one faculty member put it, “This is a ‘lifeboat’ situation.”

However, there are ways to address the challenges above: let’s call them “Lifeboat” Strategies.

KISS Your Online Class

You know the expression KISS ... Keep it Super Simple!

Instructional designer and tenured Green River faculty member Marc Barrington will walk you through designing your first two weeks online with "Lifeboat" and KISS in mind.

During this interactive workshop, you will learn how to:

  *   Set up the first week of spring quarter to orient your students (and yourself!) to online learning;

  *   Foster student motivation through building their academic confidence and sense of belonging;

  *   Access modules and resources for students that you can “Plug N Play” (or modify accordingly);

  *   Design the second week of learning in ways that won’t overwhelm your students … or you!

You’ll leave with a plan to get your first two weeks of instruction up and running, no matter what learning management system (LMS) you choose. We’ll also build in time for “rapid prototyping,” feedback, and questions.

This workshop is designed for faculty from all three mission areas: BEdA, Prof-Tech, and Academic-Transfer.

Schedule

Each session is 1 hour. We will repeat the same content, but based on participant feedback and questions, each session could vary wildly! Feel free to attend just one or all three!

  *   Friday, March 27th, 9AM to 10AM

  *   Monday, March 30th, 11AM to 12:00 PM

  *   Wednesday, April 1st, 2PM to 3PM

Special STEM “Lifeboat Strategy” Sessions

  1.  With Bryce Battisti: Monday, March 30th, 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM

  2.  With Lucas Myers: Tuesday, March 31st, 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM

Access

No need to register!

Just login to Jen’s Zoom Room: https://zoom.us/j/3948042446

Questions?

Contact Jen Whetham at jwhetham at sbctc.edu

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]

Jennifer Whetham (pronouns: she/her/hers)

Assessment, Teaching, and Learning (ATL), Education Division

Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC)

jwhetham at sbctc.edu<mailto:jwhetham at sbctc.edu> • o: 360-704-4354 • c: 206-310-1291

"What's Your Biggest Pro D Need?: Take the Survey<http://bit.ly/2wSZJcu>

“The problems of racism in writing classrooms are not primarily pedagogical problems to solve alone. Racism is an assessment problem, which can only be fully solved by changing the system of assessment, by changing the classroom writing assessment ecology. Thus assessment must be reconceived as an antiracist ecology.”

 [*]        Asao B. Inoue, Antiracist Writing Assessment Ecologies<http://bit.ly/2xvacY4>