[Factc] FW: HB 1702 PASSED!

Ha Nguyen hnguyen at sbctc.edu
Thu Mar 5 16:21:25 PST 2020

Sharing some fabulous news!! Thank you to our system groups and their students who played a critical role in helping to get HB 1702 passed!! Best - Ha

[Compass]Ha T. Nguyen (she|her|hers)
Policy Associate|Student Services
hnguyen at sbctc.edu<mailto:hnguyen at sbctc.edu> * o: 360-704-4319 * c: 253.279.4299
                                                                               SBCTC Vision
                         "Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives
                          within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice
                         in service to our diverse communities."

HB 1702 Passed!

3:30PM on March 5, 2020, Olympia WA. HB 1702<https://tinyurl.com/HB1702>, enabling our colleges to inform our students which courses uses low cost textbooks at the time of registration, has just passed unanimously in the Senate and is now awaiting the governor's signature having passed the House early in the session. Along with OER label (passed in 2017), this Low-Cost label will help our students make more informed choices and reduce the cost barriers in their journey for completion.

SBCTC would like to thank the many system groups who provided immeasurable support for this work including (but not limited to) WACTCSA, ELC, LLC, CLAWS, IC, CUSP, WSSSC, MSSDC, FACTC, and ATL community.

We are especially grateful to state's student leadership group, WACTCSA, which has become the most critical partner in this work leading our 2018 survey that received 10,050 responses from our students.

To learn about how this policy requirement will be implemented, please visit OER & Low-Cost Labeling: Implementation Guide<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/educational-technology-open-education/oer-low-cost-label-implementation.aspx>. Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks again,
Boyoung

[sbctc logo]Boyoung Chae, Ph.D.
Policy Associate, Educational Technology & Open Education
Openwa.org<openwa.org> | OER & Low-Cost Label<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/educational-technology-open-education/oer-low-cost-label-implementation.aspx>
bchae at sbctc.edu<mailto:bchae at sbctc.edu> |360-628-3549
Texts Welcome!