[Factc] Update on the STEM CoPs

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Thu Jul 30 11:22:15 PDT 2020

Dear VPIs, deans, eLearning Directors, and FACTC members,

This morning I sent an "Update and Invitation" e-mail about the STEM Communities of Practice (CoPs) to the STEM listserv, which, thanks to the efforts of many, many people ... now boasts over 400 STEM educators as members. The enormous response to this professional development model has been nothing short of exciting.

At SBCTC, we believe in faculty leadership and facilitating collaboration across the 34 CTCs. Therefore, we have made a substantial investment into a faculty leadership structure<https://bit.ly/35WWvSG>. Composed of lead facilitators and faculty leads, these amazing science educators are currently designing and facilitating rich and provocative learning experiences for their colleagues over the summer and they will continue into the fall.

I am honored and humbled by their commitment to, during this tumultuous time, create responsive and innovative learning opportunities designed by faculty for faculty.

With the aid of the lead facilitators, I'm actively pursuing outside funding sources to sustain and strengthen this professional development model past COVID 19. Our goal is to focus even more intensely on leaning into the complex inquiry process of a pivotal question: what does it means for STEM educators, for STEM education writ large, to lead with racial equity in the spirit of SBCTC vision statement<http://bit.ly/SBCTCVISION>?

Please forward the information on to your STEM educators who are looking for community, resources, opportunities for collaboration across the system, and customized support from a collective.

It's an honor to support your faculty as they support our students ... and each other.

With gratitude,

Jennifer

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]

Jennifer Whetham (pronouns: she/her/hers)

Assessment, Teaching, and Learning (ATL), Education Division

Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC)

jwhetham at sbctc.edu<mailto:jwhetham at sbctc.edu> • o: 360-704-4354 • c: 206-310-1291

Register for  the Fall 2020 Faculty Institute:"Leading with Racial Equity During COVID 19<https://bit.ly/31TP7aq>"