[Factc] A Conversation with Dr. Vershawn Ashanti Young (Dr. vay): Teaching after George Floyd

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Mon Dec 7 16:45:05 PST 2020

My dear friends and colleagues:

Do you know the scholarship of Dr. Vershawn Ashanti Young<https://uwaterloo.ca/english/people-profiles/vershawn-young>? Known as dr. vay, he has recently edited a new textbook: This Ain't Yesterday's Literacy: Culture and Education After George Floyd<https://bit.ly/3lTQ21g>. I know this is short notice, but if you can, I highly urge you to register<https://bit.ly/3lU7zpR> for this event, described below. I have heard Dr. vay speak previously, and every time I have come away transformed.

I have registered and I plan to rearrange my schedule so I can attend. I hope to see many of you there!

Peace,

Jen

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]

Jennifer Whetham (pronouns: she/her/hers)

Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC)

jwhetham at sbctc.edu<mailto:jwhetham at sbctc.edu> • o: 360-704-4354 • c: 206-310-1291

Join a STEM Community of Practice<https://bit.ly/2PHRW7z>

Antiracist Writing Assessment Ecology Grant: Read More<https://bit.ly/2CcZoo0>

SBCTC Vision: “Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities.”

Vershawn Ashanti Young discusses his new reader "This Ain't Yesterday's Literacy"

A Conversation with Vershawn Ashanti Young
Editor of the new reader This Ain't Yesterday's Literacy: Culture and Education After George Floyd

REGISTER NOW!<https://bit.ly/3lU7zpR>

Date: Tuesday, December 8th
Time: 1:00–2:00 p.m. PST/ 3:00-4:00 p.m. CST / 4:00-5:00 p.m. EST

Conversation Topics:

  *   Having productive conversations with students about current social movements
  *   Helping students understand historical conversations about race, protest, language and identity, and policing
  *   How This Ain't Yesterday's Literacy was developed and designed to support students and faculty
  *   Sharing insights about educating students—and ourselves—around these important topics

Vershawn Ashanti Young, who goes by dr. vay, has been writing for newspapers and magazines for almost 20 years. He is a solo-performance artist as well as professor of communication, race, gender, literature, writing, and performance. He is the author or co-author of nine books, including Other People's English (Parlor Press, 2019); The Routledge Reader of African American Rhetoric (Routledge 2018); and Neo-Passing: Performing Identity After Jim Crow (2018). He is currently the chair of the Conference on College Composition and Communication, the largest educational organization dedicated to college literacies of communication and writing.