[Factc] A Message for your STEM Faculty: Pro D During COVID 19

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Mon Apr 13 08:31:59 PDT 2020

Hello and happy Monday to everyone!

As many of you know, SBCTC has been forming discipline-specific groups of STEM faculty into communities of practice (CoPs). During this time, we want to avoid each individual faculty members having to "reinvent the wheel" and support collaborations at the system level during this time.

See the Master List of STEM CoPs and Add Your E-mail: https://bit.ly/2XmjnJ6

As Peg Balachowski, dean of Teaching and Learning at EvCC always says, "you can't talk about student success without talking about faculty success." Creating this kind of synergy feels particularly resonant during this pandemic, especially as we don't know how long this will continue.

Over the past few weeks, SBCTC has convened faculty who teach Microbiology, A&P, Chemistry, and Botany.

During these meetings, we uncover shared challenges to teaching remotely during COVID 19 and then create strategies for faculty to "Crowd-Source" solutions and innovations, especially regarding labs, through Canvas.

This week SBCTC will be hosting "online faculty meetings" for

  *   BIOL&160
  *   Majors Biology (Plant and Animal)
  *   Chemistry
  *   Engineering
  *   Physics

Laura Schueller will continue to offer office hours for math faculty MWF this week from 12 to 1.

Please see the schedule below with days/times/access information. Here's a short URL to the schedule if you prefer to send that instead: https://bit.ly/34soCbF

Thanks for sharing this information with your STEM faculty.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]

Jennifer Whetham (pronouns: she/her/hers)

Assessment, Teaching, and Learning (ATL), Education Division

Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC)

jwhetham at sbctc.edu<mailto:jwhetham at sbctc.edu> • o: 360-704-4354 • c: 206-310-1291

COVID 19 Remote Learning Resource<https://bit.ly/3byJaBm>
Lifeboat/KISS Recordings<https://bit.ly/3ee4lLc>