[Factc] (no subject)

Reza Forough reza.forough at bellevuecollege.edu
Thu Apr 19 12:38:46 PDT 2018

Hi Arlen,

Many thanks for your valuable input and confirming the SBCTC's position in favor of free or low-cost college.

Regarding the dual credit, I completely understand that the argument can be made that someone who is 14 will have a difficult time in a college environment perhaps even more in terms of social/emotional than the academic adjustments.  However, I argue that the bill has already passed to allow 9th graders to enroll in Running Start Program, so why not giving the same opportunity to 9th graders to enroll in the College in High School (CHS). In fact, giving the 9th graders the opportunity to study college courses in their home schools, where the social and emotional setting is not an uncharted territory compared to an unfamiliar big college campus, makes more sense to me.

Over all, the single most bright point has to do with what you mentioned in your email and that is there will be several proposals for free or low-cost college next year. This indicates that both the lawmakers and general public realize the community and tech college  cost is the foremost major barrier for our children to achieve post-secondary education. Therefore, it is a cause that is well-worth to fight for.

I like your idea of inviting some legislators to our FACTC meeting but I think Gerry has already done this.

Thanks again for your thoughtful comments and hope to see you in Vancouver.

Reza