[Factc] Legislative Update 4-7-2017

Taylor, Terry ttaylor at shoreline.edu
Sun Apr 9 16:28:20 PDT 2017

Here are my notes of our weekly conference, any and all errors are mine.  I've included links to the bills.

Notes:
FACTC Legislative Committee conference with Arlen Harris.

Bills that we have been tracking:
HB 1139 Customized Training program  has passed the House and Senate  http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=1130&Year=2017
Washington State Legislature<http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=1130&Year=2017>
app.leg.wa.gov
First reading, referred to Higher Education (Not Officially read and referred until adoption of Introduction report). ...

HB 1375 providing students with cost information for required materials   passed both houses http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=1375&Year=2017
Washington State Legislature<http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=1375&Year=2017>
app.leg.wa.gov
Providing students at community and technical colleges with the costs of required course materials.

HB 1129/SB5069 Corrections education has passed the House and will be taken up in Senate this week http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=1129&Year=2017
Washington State Legislature<http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=1129&Year=2017>
app.leg.wa.gov
Providing associate degree education to enhance education opportunities and public safety.

SB 5640 Technical College HS diplomas has passed both houses  http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=5640&Year=2017
Washington State Legislature<http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=5640&Year=2017>
app.leg.wa.gov
First reading, referred to Higher Education (Not Officially read and referred until adoption of Introduction report

Budget:
The House Operating Budget has about $3billion in new spending creating a new capital gains tax with changes in the B&O taxes with relief for small business and increases for large businesses and also some reorganization for property taxes.  This is still waiting to be passed in the House.
The House Capital Budget funds a larger number of projects than the Governors proposal.
Most of the committees are done the last day will be April 23.
The Senate budget is attempting to meet McCleary and other requirements within existing revenues.
The House budget continues the tuition freeze with backfill, COLAS, I-Best fundint, MESA, and Guided Pathways.  The Senate budget does none of those things and also cuts Work First.
Since the budgets are so far apart a Special Session (or Sessions) are very likely in May and June.
The House would like to have an agreement on spending first then pass revenue bills that are necessary to implement.  The Senate would like to do the opposite.

Other items:
HB1237   Bargaining for Local Funds http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=1237&Year=2017  passed the House but died in committee in the Senate.  It has been re-inserted in the House Operating Budget so it still lives for now.  The presidents continue to have concerns on the disparate impact this would have on the colleges.
Washington State Legislature<http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=1237&Year=2017>
app.leg.wa.gov
Modifying collective bargaining law to authorize providing additional compensation to academic employees at community and technical colleges.

HB 1913 Leasehold tax exemption for college bookstores still lives in the Senate budget as “necessary to implement”

SBCTC will be drafting a letter this week to the legislative leadership identifying what they like in each version of the budget.

Terry L. Taylor
Assistant Dean, Social Sciences Division and The Honors College
Professor of History, Political Science, and International Studies
Shoreline Community College
16101 Greenwood Avenue North
Shoreline, Washington 98133 USA
206-546-4589