[equity-compsci] Equity + BS in CS Workgroup - Winter 2023

Hess, Crystal chess at shoreline.edu
Wed Jan 18 15:09:21 PST 2023

Hello!

Let’s get this back on track with developing and iterating our CS degrees with an equity focus (this in the google drive<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GwNi75_0fqEV_L25hC9YvMbXEv0bvRZN61pPXnTSOXY/edit>)

Here’s a warm-up activity to get us started:

  1.  Review the Equity/BSCS Framework<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OV55dmMF_IxihROxoIuubgJnciAJ2I0ZXQnHxVBc5P0/edit?usp=sharing> we created in Spring 2022.
  2.  Try to gather/review data on as many of the below data points as you can:

Equity-centered degree outcomes for the BS in CS (for your institution)

·         Students enrolled represent the diversity of the local community when disaggregated by race.

·         Program completion/success rates (by course and program) are equal when disaggregated by race, gender, first-generation status, and SES/pell-eligibility

·         Graduates report access to mentorship (spanning their transition to workplace) equally when disaggregated by race, gender, first-generation status, and SES/pell-eligibility

·         Graduates find job placement at similar rates and wages as universities in the local community

·         Graduates report a sense of belonging in their programs

  1.  If your institution doesn’t have this data (I know ShorelineCC doesn’t have the bottom three), brainstorm how and who could potentially start creating a process for gathering this data, if applicable. (You gotta start somewhere, right?)

Coming up:

  *   Jan 27 - DACUM at NSC. Email came from Val Sundby last week about non-industry participation
  *   Next 2 weeks - We’ll begin an inventory of our collective equity practices. And hopefully will meet up on zoom by early February. More info to come.

Links:

  *   https://bit.ly/bs-cs-equity-folder > Equity/BSCS Framework<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OV55dmMF_IxihROxoIuubgJnciAJ2I0ZXQnHxVBc5P0/edit?usp=sharing>
  *   Listserve: lists.ctc.edu/equity-compsci<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2flists.ctc.edu%2fmailman%2flistinfo%2fequity-compsci_lists.ctc.edu&c=E,1,cqljtav5XAxW76qkJYGER0zVsj56o-OuWkgyIkHgidLL7h06sFZwi64OuiKXyvSE52WvbvMeo6svtgNXAlMwKH8asSL1JhjUxIhgXe57n7c,&typo=1> “This listserv will be used to share information, strategies, and efforts related to educational equity in Computer Science across the SBCTC system. Faculty, staff, and admin across the state are encouraged to join this list in support of developing and refining pedagogy and institutional practices which support the empowerment of students who have been historically minoritized in Computer Science programs and fields.”

--
Crystal Hess (she/Dr.)
Professor of Computer Science