[equity-compsci] Equity + BS in CS Workgroup - Status end of Fall 2022 Qtr

Hess, Crystal chess at shoreline.edu
Mon Nov 28 20:33:57 PST 2022

Hi folks,

This quarter has flown by. Cherie and I wanted to give some updates on where we're at with the BS in CS Equity Workgroup.

  *   Please sign up for this new listserve lists.ctc.edu/equity-compsci<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2flists.ctc.edu%2fmailman%2flistinfo%2fequity-compsci_lists.ctc.edu&c=E,1,cqljtav5XAxW76qkJYGER0zVsj56o-OuWkgyIkHgidLL7h06sFZwi64OuiKXyvSE52WvbvMeo6svtgNXAlMwKH8asSL1JhjUxIhgXe57n7c,&typo=1>
     *   No more emails will go out to this manually curated list-everything will go out through the listserv above
     *   "This listserv will be used to share information, strategies, and efforts related to educational equity in Computer Science across the SBCTC system. Faculty, staff, and admin across the state are encouraged to join this list in support of developing and refining pedagogy and institutional practices which support the empowerment of students who have been historically minoritized in Computer Science programs and fields."
  *   As you know, applications for funds from SBCTC were due Fri 10/28, which included items related to this work. Namely,
     *   applications for release time to be a part of the small leadership team (most work in Winter and Spring, obviously, at this point)
        *   Cherie and I are waiting on the finalized list of leadership team members. When we have those, we will reach out to that team to hopefully meet once before the quarter is over to go over scope of work, scheduling, and brainstorming.
     *   applications for $1000 to participate in the implementation work developed by the leadership team
        *   Events/activities for the implementation work to be developed when leadership team is in place
  *   Two DACUMs (Industry input on curriculum and program needs for BS in CS) are being planned for this academic year
     *   1 west-side, hosted at NSC, likely end of Jan
     *   1 east-side, likely March
     *   Focused on getting industry input, but it looks like each college may be invited to send at least 1 Faculty each

We're sorry there's been a lull in this very important work! We just don't want to move forward without the entire team in place. We're confident that we will find a groove to move this work in Winter/Spring 2023.

Links:
https://bit.ly/bs-cs-equity-folder<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fbit.ly%2fbs-cs-equity-folder&c=E,1,LZWminUK762C2H6PvE_dyFEZH57QC1y3dY7H-6D4ThO0SXYvkEdy3n6YWh6JkywbDuFPamVIlKRBX4dTuu4edBw31HVFnBDa1nDmPxGg2Fz8rq6iq9QJnw,,&typo=1>
Equity/BSCS Framework<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OV55dmMF_IxihROxoIuubgJnciAJ2I0ZXQnHxVBc5P0/edit?usp=sharing>

--
Crystal Hess (she/Dr.)
Professor of Computer Science