[DEOC] Compensation for bilingual employees

Margarita P Banderas margarita.banderas at wwcc.edu
Tue Jul 26 12:30:22 PDT 2022

Thank you, Robert! I agree -- this is an opportunity for institutions to live up to their words of valuing diversity and compensating folks for the added skills that they bring to the institution. And it would definitely be much more powerful coming as a commission recommendation.

So far, I've encountered positive response and support (from our VP of HR and VP of SS) to explore the establishment of a policy for premium pay to compensate bilingual skills (something that our classified staff currently have available IF the job description lists the language skill as required).

Hoping to take advantage of this positive momentum I'd really appreciate hearing from folks who have implemented a similar policy and also curious about any known skill assessment tools available.

Thanks,

Margarita

The value of your personal time is priceless, and my working day may not be the same as your working day. Please do not feel obliged to reply to this email outside of your working hours.

Margarita Banderas   |   Director of Equity, Diversity & Inclusion<https://www.wwcc.edu/equity/>

Pronouns: she/her/ella (Why I share my pronouns<https://www.cultureamp.com/blog/sharing-gender-pronouns-at-work/>)

Walla Walla Community College<http://wwcc.edu/>   |   Bldg. D279

500 Tausick Way   |   Walla Walla, WA 99362