[DEOC] [External] Process

Valencia, Iesha Iesha.Valencia at cptc.edu
Wed Dec 7 13:55:53 PST 2022

Hi Robert,

We don't have a standard process, but if it's a conference I am coordinating attendance for (FSOCC, NCORE, NW Equity) I do send an all campus email to provide transparent access and allow people to express interest. If they are faculty, they usually have a pool of funding they are eligible for so I mostly end up prioritizing selecting staff. I am transparent that the funding will prioritize people taking a role in EDI on our campus (committee members, committee chairs, employees whose position has EDI embedded expectations, my staff) and also employees who have traditionally not had access to this type of professional development. For FSOCC specifically, I also include a statement around centering and prioritizing faculty and staff of color and have offered white faculty and staff the option to attend the privilege institute (formerly known as the White Privilege Conference).  I do like to do a pre-conference gathering with attendees and post-conference debrief so that it has a collective feel to it versus individuals attending on their own.

In Community,

Iesha Valencia (she,her,hers)
Associate Vice President for Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
Office of Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
Clover Park Technical College
Bldg 17, Rm 210 iesha.valencia at cptc.edu<mailto:iesha.valencia at cptc.edu>  | 253-589-6063
4500 Steilacoom Blvd, SW | Lakewood, WA 98499