[ctcLinkfinaidsupport] Please read - Repeat Policy

Ana Ybarra aybarra at sbctc.edu
Tue Feb 7 16:36:17 PST 2023

Good afternoon FA community -
When we last met on January 24th, the repeat topic came up. I wanted to bring to all of our attention a of couple items about repeat coursework.

First, we've updated our QRG in the reference center, Reviewing Repeat Coursework<https://ctclinkreferencecenter.ctclink.us/m/92428/l/1236161-9-2-reviewing-repeat-coursework>. Please take a look.

Second, I'm sharing here in case all are not aware, that the agency already has a well-defined repeat policy, which I've included below. It lives in two different places; the ctcLink Student FTE Calculation Overview document and the Policy Manual, wherein the policy is clearly defined and outlined. I believe colleges can leverage these as a framework for a SAP repeat policy for State and Federal funds; make the existing agency repeat policy as the "as strict" repeat policy for SAP.

We ask that colleges provide feedback on this topic.

*         Is this already a repeat policy for SAP that you've incorporated?

*         For colleges who don't have a clearly defined, or established repeat policy, could you agree to incorporate into your college SAP policy?

Please respond to this email with feedback from your college by Wednesday, February 22nd.

>From the Student FTE Calculation Overview Documentation V1.3 (Page 8)<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/data-services/coding-and-reporting-guidelines>

Enrollments that are over the Repeat Limit per the SBCTC Policy Manual 5.30.25*

Students cannot be reported for courses funded with state dollars if enrolled more than three times for the same course - this is defined as two repeats in addition to the original enrollment.  If the enrollment is allowed, a Repeat Code of RFTE should be applied to the student's enrollment record.  Enrollments with the Repeat Code of RFTE will be excluded from FTES calculations.

A new field named CTC_FTE_EXCEPT was added to the CTC_STDNT_FTE table in September 2022 and describes why the enrollment did not generate FTES.  Below is a listing of the valid values as well as an associated query to identify the enrollments not generating FTES.  More information related to these exceptions is available in the FTES Calculation Exception section of this document. (from page 9)

*5.30.25 Repeat Course Rule<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/policies-rules/policy-manual/chapter-5>

Students cannot be reported for courses funded with state dollars if enrolled more than three times for the same course - this is defined as two repeats in addition to the original enrollment.

A course applies to the repeat rule if the student receives an evaluative (graded) or non-evaluative (withdraw) symbol for the course as counted per census date rules as posted on the transcript.

Exceptions to the rule include:

  1.  Extenuating Circumstances - At the discretion of the college, students with extenuating circumstances may receive permission to enroll in a course for a fourth attempt. These extenuating circumstances may include, but not limited to:
     *   medical or military withdraws as defined in state statute
     *   course required for a certificate or degree with limited or no substitute option
     *   significant break in enrollment
     *   grade forgiveness process
     *   mandated training for employment
  2.  Variable Credit Courses - A student may enroll in a variable credit course as many times as necessary to complete the entire curriculum and credit value of the course. However, a student may not repeat any portion of a variable credit course that has already been completed.

Students who retake a previously passed course more than once may become ineligible for federal or state financial aid.

Students who receive veteran benefits may not be certified for, or receive compensation for, repeating a course they have previously passed.

Peace be with you,

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]Ana Ybarra, MA
Associate Director Campus Solutions - Financial Aid
* o: 360-704-1024