[Ctclda] Pro D Benchmarks, Leadership Dev from the FBI . . . and MORE!

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Thu Sep 28 10:09:28 PDT 2017

Dear Friends and Colleagues:

As you settle into the new academic year and fall quarter (Is it day 10 yet?), and you are passionate about professional development . . . consider registering for the upcoming fall Assessment, Teaching, and Learning Retreat.  We still have a few spots left!

The dates are October 12th and 13th, 2017, at the beautiful Rainbow Lodge in North Bend.

  *   Here's a link to the registration form<https://www.sbctc.edu/resources/documents/colleges-staff/programs-services/assessment-teaching-learning/registration-form-atl-fall2017.doc>
  *   Please take a few moments to peruse the agenda<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LDuQ9lQVVVL7Mv01goettoiXT_iMIFonVS866v4xouA/edit?usp=sharing>

Why Should I Attend this Retreat?
As Peg Balachowski of EvCC wrote to me over the summer:

My job (and my passion) is supporting faculty (on-boarding, creating a sense of community, developing skills and sharing best practices, preparing classroom assessments, etc.) But who supports me and the other professional developers in the CTCs? It is important that we not lose sight of the fact that an investment in the people who are supporting faculty is an investment in the success of our faculty, our students and our institutions. The ATL retreats have a high value for me because they are my professional development - an investment in my growth that allows me the time and space to share experiences, collaborate with experts, and engage with colleagues from across the state so I can return to my campus to champion the work of my faculty. In other words, Pro-D breathing room.

Please join us for some Pro-D breathing room!  :)

A few highlights of the fall retreat:

  *   Share Pro D Wisdom: Due to popular demand, Rhonda DeWitt of LWIT will facilitate a dynamic and interactive opening session where you can find out what's happening around the state with ProD.
  *   (Begin to) Set Pro-D Benchmarks: There has been a lot of conversation about professional development this spring and summer by many different groups.  This makes our efforts to collaboratively set collective benchmarks (and accompanying rubrics) for professional development even more timely and important.  Ira Gardner of Spokane Falls will be facilitating two sessions to get us started.  Nutshell: we will work collaboratively over the year towards benchmarks for designing, implementing, and assessing successful professional development programs/programming.
  *   Examine Pro D Models from Other Sectors: Analea Brauburger of Tacoma CC will share with us a model for leadership development that has been used successfully within the FBI . . . and modified successfully for a two year college context.  This presentation, which Analea saw at NISOD<https://www.nisod.org/> this spring, inspired her greatly, and I can't wait to learn from her learning!
  *   Participate in the State Level Conversation about Pro-D: I'll be filling you in on the conversation currently happening at the state level by the Community and Technical College Leadership Development Association<ctcleads.org> (CTCLDA) and the strategic visioning committee of Washington Association of Community and Technical Colleges<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/commissions-councils/wactc/default.aspx> (WACTC) as they begin to map professional development offerings at the system level to look for gaps, repetition, and synergy.  I'll give a BRIEF presentation and then put us to work mapping!

Of course, if you have questions, comments, concerns, or suggestions, I'm always available via phone, text, or e-mail.

Peace,

Jen
[SBCTC_Anniversary Logo Main_Round3OUT_v1_MC]

Jennifer Whetham| Assessment, Teaching, and Learning<http://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/assessment-teaching-learning/C:/Users/jwhetham/Documents/ATL%20Conference>
jwhetham at sbctc.edu<mailto:jwhetham at sbctc.edu> | p (360) 704-4354 | c (206) 310-1291|