[Ctclda] Pathways Toolkit, PP&I, Learning Analytics, FLCs . . . Register Now for a Pre-Conference Workshop at the Upcoming ATL!

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Wed Mar 22 09:25:05 PDT 2017

To my dear CTCLDA community,

There are still a few spaces open in each of our four pre-conference workshops at the upcoming 2017 Assessment, Teaching, and Learning conference<http://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/assessment-teaching-learning/atl-conference-materials.aspx>!

n  Pathways Workshop featuring a CCSE-created tool to ensure student learning in your redesign-the Pathways Toolkit;

n  PP&I Workshop on using the PP&I framework to bridge gaps between instruction and students;

n  Learning Analytics in Canvas to inform classroom, program, and campus-wide assessment;

n  Faculty Learning Communities as a flexible professional development structure to create a more equitable institution.

At $85 per person, these workshops are a really good value . . .  each learning experience is three hours is carefully sequenced for maximum activity (no death by PowerPoint!) and includes vetted materials to take home and use on Monday.

I'll also add that during the break, there are delicious, high quality snacks!

See below for a full description of each workshop.  Questions?  Don't hesitate to contact me.

Peace,

Jen
Pre-Conference Workshops

2017 ATL Conference
Walking Together: Shared Pathways for Student and Faculty Learning

Register Now<http://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/assessment-teaching-learning/atl-conference-materials.aspx>

Putting the Pieces Together: Guided Pathways, Student Voices, and Teaching and Learning
Facilitator: Linda Garcia, Center for Community College Student Engagement<http://www.ccsse.org/> & Heather Roberson<https://web.spcollege.edu/instructors/id/roberson.heather>, St. Petersburg College, FL

*         [cid:image006.jpg at 01D2A2EE.2F8A3AB0] Are you interested in learning more about integrating student voices into the pathways design at your college?

*         Do you need practical strategies around the fourth design principle of a guided pathways implantation-ensuring student learning?

The Community College Survey of Student Engagement (CCSSE) provides invaluable data that can help your institution improve the quality of student experiences.  Learn how your college can begin to assess its guided pathways implementation in the classroom, and hear how pathways has changed the implementation of teaching and learning at a college outside Washington State.  During this session, you'll be introduced to a powerful tool to take back to your institution-the Pathways Tool Kit.  You'll also participate in a prediction exercise to experience how CCSSE data can help you and your institution strengthen teaching and learning. Participants are encouraged to attend in teams of three to five staff members from a college (college presidents, vice-presidents, deans, faculty members, institutional researchers, etc.).

Bridging Gaps: Power, Privilege, and Inequity Training for Faculty
Facilitator: Debi Jenkins, Clark College

Multiculturalism. Anti-Bias. Inclusion. Diversity. Equity. Achievement gaps. Opportunity gaps. Learning Gaps.

*         [cid:image007.jpg at 01D2A2EE.2F8A3AB0] Are you an educator committed to social justice and helping all students succeed?

*         Do you feel frustrated, overwhelmed, or confused by all of the different terminology?

*         Do you wonder if all those terms and concepts are interchangeable? If they are different . . . then how?

*         Most importantly, do you struggle to understand which one is "right" one for your teaching and for the students in your classroom and how those abstract concepts will help you figure out what to do in class on Monday?
During this workshop, you'll have the opportunity to learn how to use the terms and concepts listed above; self-assess how well you currently bridge gaps between your instruction and your students; ensure your pedagogy, curriculum, and classroom materials are equity-producing; and form a clear vision for where you need to go. Come with your questions . . . leave with answers and strategies!
Following the Breadcrumbs: Learning Analytics for Teaching, Learning and Student Success
Facilitators: Ira Gardner and Sarah Martin, Spokane Falls Community College

[cid:image014.jpg at 01D2A2EE.2F8A3AB0]Learning analytics is a powerful tool for tracking learner performance, assessing learning outcomes, and providing feedback on course design. As learners engage in a course, vital pieces of data on course progression, discussion board participation, and log-in frequency are recorded. Instructors can harness these digital breadcrumbs to track and analyze connections between learner behavior and learner success at assignment and course levels. Furthermore, learning analytics provide assessment data for measuring learning outcomes and informing course design after a class term has ended.
Learning analytics is applicable to all instructional modalities and disciplines; therefore, we will begin with an introduction to learning analytics, followed by a discussion of the [cid:image015.jpg at 01D2A2EE.2F8A3AB0] application of learning analytic data to course design and delivery.  Since the heart of learning analytics centers on utilizing data to inform pedagogical practice, the workshop features an interactive component on capturing, interpreting, and applying the data, as well as how to maintain 'learning' in learning analytics through different levels of assessment. Participants will leave the workshop with foundational knowledge and an outline for how to successfully integrate and apply learning analytics to their courses.

Faculty Learning Communities: A Guide to Building a Community of Inclusive Pedagogy Practitioners
Facilitators: Gretchen Robertson and Kip Zwolenski, Skagit Valley College
[cid:image008.jpg at 01D2A263.47D6D7D0]Skagit Valley College views guided pathways as an opportunity to create a more equitable institution. To ensure that equity remains at the forefront of guided pathways, faculty started an Inclusive Pedagogy Faculty Learning Community (FLC). While most instructors strive to [cid:image016.jpg at 01D2A2EE.2F8A3AB0] create welcoming classrooms, there are often structural, procedural, cultural, and/or curricular elements of practice that overlook the needs of diverse students. These elements are influenced by implicit biases. Becoming a more inclusive educator is an on-going, collaborative process that involves understanding theoretical views of learning, advocating for students, assessing for equity, building community, validating diverse knowledge, and sharing power in the classroom.
For this workshop, we will be building off of our Student Success Institute workshop, which we presented earlier this academic year. As we enter our second year of facilitating the faculty learning community, we are investigating questions of organizational change and individual motivation to create a meaningful and sustainable learning environment. As stated in the description above, Inclusive Pedagogy is not just an individual approach to teaching. Instead, it is at the core of our guided pathways work. We seek to accomplish campus-wide inclusion through the integration of critical cultural theory, change theory, and a spectrum of psychological motivation theory.
[SBCTC_Anniversary Logo Main_Round3OUT_v1_MC]

Jennifer Whetham| Program Administrator, Faculty Development
jwhetham at sbctc.edu<mailto:jwhetham at sbctc.edu> | p (360) 704-4354 | c (206) 310-1291|