[CATO] GAAD: Highline Presentations

Hanscom, Michael mhanscom at highline.edu
Wed May 17 11:44:55 PDT 2023

Hi CATO!

As discussed at the last meeting, I'm going to be giving a couple presentations tomorrow for GAAD. I'll be giving one at 10am covering document accessibility basics, and one at 2pm covering captioning videos (using Highline's Caption Hub and Panopto tools). While the second is definitely more Highline-focused, if any of you are free, you'd be welcome to drop in to either presentation. Here are the blurbs I've been sending out to campus, along with the Zoom links:

10 a.m.: Document Accessibility Basics -- An overview of how to make documents you create for classes, campus, or the public more accessible for people with disabilities. Why heading styles are better than simply formatting text, how to write effective alt text for images, how to make tables more understandable, and more! (Zoom link for Document Accessibility Basics<https://highline.zoom.us/j/84681120131?pwd=VGlOdGNXd1pZVU9jTG0yRFVkQnRtZz09&from=addon>.)

2 p.m.: Captioning Videos -- Captions assist people with and without auditory disabilities in a number of ways -- but how do you make sure your videos are properly captioned? This session will give an overview of Highline's processes for adding captions, along with tips for reviewing, editing, and adjusting captions on your videos. (Zoom link for Captioning Videos<https://highline.zoom.us/j/87827795678?pwd=WC9VMXpMWXdqdGlZOE41b0xhZEhUZz09&from=addon>.)

Michael Hanscom (he/him), Accessible Technology Program Manager, Highline College
mhanscom at highline.edu<mailto:mhanscom at highline.edu> | Building 25-516 | 206.592.3383
Accessible Technology Zoom Lobby: Wed. 3:30-4:15 p.m., Thu. 3-3:45 p.m. https://highline.zoom.us/my/mhanscom
Access Services: 206.592.3857 | access at highline.edu<mailto:access at highline.edu> | https://access.highline.edu<https://access.highline.edu/>