[CATO] Request for CATO's help - upcoming meeting with Oracle about PDF

Monica Olsson molsson at sbctc.edu
Mon Jul 12 08:37:52 PDT 2021

Dear CATO,

Heads up! Long email below.

I need your help. Last week I met with Chris Soran and his team in App Services to learn more about their relationship with Oracle and discussed the W2 PDF.

The W2 PDF document inside Employee Services within the HCM pillar is not accessible, including not being properly tagged.

On July 22nd I am attending a meeting with a "higher up" named Russell at Oracle to help explain why they should fix the PDF from a policy perspective.

My ask: I'd like to collaborate with this group to build a solid argument I can take with me to this meeting. I am also waiting to hear if I can invite a member of CATO to join the meeting---I think this is an opportunity to include CATO in these discussions and make sure this group has a "seat at the table." If am not allowed to invite a member of CATO, then I want to make sure that I am bringing the voices of CATO with me into these meetings. Doug graciously responded to my (panicked) email last week and spent time looking at the W2 PDF, sharing with me a list of accessibility issues he encountered. That was very helpful!

Oracle continues to argue that they already meet minimum compliance with the PDF and that the changes SBCTC requests point towards a AAA standard. They also argue that because a non-PDF conforming alternate version<https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2007/05/alternate-versions.html> of the W2 is viewable within screen reader mode they have met WCAG guidelines.

I created a document where I have compiled Oracle's argument in one place.<https://sbctcedu-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/molsson_sbctc_edu/EbNGEIwDEQlKrMsDshrw3EIB1Cn5UXp_ftCCXNBiPsTY2g?e=m04OBf> It is also attached.

Has anyone explored the non-PDF alternate version of the W2 form via screen-reader mode? I briefly looked at it last week just using Narrator on my computer (not NVDA yet). I was able to get the information read outload to me, but thought the navigation was rough.  I would like to know if this group thinks WCAG guideline G136 <https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Techniques/general/G136> has been met by providing a link to what Oracle believes is an accessible alternative version? My problem with their argument is because we know is possible for a PDF document to be made accessible, why is an alternate version even necessary at all??

This may also be a great time for me to help educate Oracle that something might meet minimum technical requirements but still not provide a functionally accessible experience to the user. Though, I don't think even minimum standards have been met, and want to build that argument, too.

What do you think about me sharing this email with DSSC too?

Thank you for your time and input.

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]

Monica M. Olsson (she/her/hers)

Policy Associate – Accessible IT Coordinator

molsson at sbctc.edu<mailto:molsson at sbctc.edu> • o: 360-704-3922 • c: 206-914-7187

sbctc.edu<https://www.sbctc.edu/> • Twitter: @SBCTCWashington<https://twitter.com/SBCTCWashington> • Facebook: @WASBCTC<https://www.facebook.com/wasbctc/>