[CATO] ETAG Accessibility Follow up: Feedback requested

Monica Olsson molsson at sbctc.edu
Thu Jul 1 10:43:58 PDT 2021

Thank you, Marc. I am looping in the CATO members. Please chime in, folks!

Reflecting on your question about leverage: I think this is important for us to talk about. We have more leverage applying pressure on vendors as a system of 34 colleges, rather than individual schools trying to ask vendors for information and then verify. Perhaps as a starting point, we (SBCTC staff) can ask vendors interested in the app store to agree to a third-party evaluation of their VPAT as a requirement to make it into the store. That is not going to provide all the information and compliance verification we really need but could be a first step. We can start with the v.1 list of vendors you include below.

My thought on your second question is no, I don't believe a process has been defined that would allow us to say, for example, X vendor's product meets accessibility standards in a "verifiable way." I hope to collaborate with others to help determine what that should look like.

Regarding your third question, "I know the SBCTC staff are under some pressure to get Commons launched. For the folks who know more than me… Where do we stand on products that have any documentation, other than a vendor completed VPAT? And that have contract language requiring WCAG 2.1/AA?" -- I think Mark Carbon can speak to that since he is the primary contact for vendors.

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]

Monica M. Olsson (she/her/hers)

Policy Associate – Accessible IT Coordinator

molsson at sbctc.edu<mailto:molsson at sbctc.edu> • o: 360-704-3922 • c: 206-914-7187

sbctc.edu<https://www.sbctc.edu/> • Twitter: @SBCTCWashington<https://twitter.com/SBCTCWashington> • Facebook: @WASBCTC<https://www.facebook.com/wasbctc/>