[CATO] Feb 4th Accessible Design Training - share with your colleagues

Monica Olsson molsson at sbctc.edu
Fri Dec 17 09:58:47 PST 2021

Hi CATO,

Following is information about a training on Feb. 4th about Accessible Design 101 Core Concepts. Think: good heading structure, Alt text, meaningful links, lists, color contrast, etc. I am presenting with Alissa Sells from SBCTC, Susanne Weatherly from Everett, and Shaun Hegney from Spokane. Likely, these topics would be review for everyone in this group, so do not feel any pressure to attend. Please however, pass this information along to colleagues you think will benefit.

Registered attendees will receive an Event Link early February and will be sent materials for their chosen breakout session. Let me know if you have questions.

Accessible Design 101: an introduction to core concepts
When: Friday February 4th, 1-4 pm l Where: Zoom

Register now<https://www.sbctc.edu/calendar.aspx?trumbaEmbed=view%3Devent%26eventid%3D156868564> at the SBCTC calendar and events page<https://www.sbctc.edu/calendar.aspx?trumbaEmbed=view%3Devent%26eventid%3D156868564>.

You've heard about the importance of creating accessible content for people with disabilities and assistive tech users and want to do your part. Maybe you don’t know how to start or could use a little refresher. Don’t worry, we got you!

What We’ll Cover:

In this training, we will introduce you to core accessible design concepts such as good heading structure, alt text, and meaningful links. We will explain why they are important and show you how to implement these best practices.

What you will get:

  *   Live demonstration of a screen reader user navigating content

  *   Introduction to accessible design core concepts and how to implement them

  *   Time to practice your new skills in 1 of 3 breakout sessions: Word doc, Google doc, or Canvas

     *   Breakout Session A: Word document accessibility with Monica

     *   Breakout Session B: Google docs accessibility with Susanne

     *   Breakout Session C: Canvas page accessibility with Alissa

Who is this for?

  *   College faculty and staff

  *   SBCTC staff

Event Accessibility:

SBCTC is committed to providing equal access for individuals with disabilities to its programs and events in accordance with the ADA and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Please indicate your disability accommodation request(s) on the registration form. Contact Monica Olsson with questions at molsson at sbctc.edu<mailto:molsson at sbctc.edu>.

  *   Live transcription will be provided

  *   Breaks will be provided

  *   The training will be recorded (except for the breakout sessions) and available for replay

Registration:

  *   Register now<https://www.sbctc.edu/calendar.aspx?trumbaEmbed=view%3Devent%26eventid%3D156868564> at the SBCTC calendar and events page<https://www.sbctc.edu/calendar.aspx?trumbaEmbed=view%3Devent%26eventid%3D156868564>.

  *   Deadline for registration is Friday January 21st and will be capped at 100 participants.

  *   You MUST indicate which break-out session (choose one) you plan to attend. You will receive practice materials according to your selection.

  *   Depending on your breakout selection, you’ll need access to either Office Word, Google Docs, or Canvas.

Presenters:

  *   Monica Olsson, SBCTC

  *   Susanne Weatherly, Everett Community College

  *   Shaun Hegney, Spokane Falls Community College

  *   Alissa Sells, SBCTC

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]

Monica M. Olsson (she/her/hers)

Policy Associate – Accessible IT Coordinator

molsson at sbctc.edu<mailto:molsson at sbctc.edu> • o: 360-704-3922 • c: 206-914-7187

sbctc.edu<https://www.sbctc.edu/> • Twitter: @SBCTCWashington<https://twitter.com/SBCTCWashington> • Facebook: @WASBCTC<https://www.facebook.com/wasbctc/>