[BFET] ABAWD letter going to BFET students

Gordon, Mark Mark.Gordon at Seattlecolleges.edu
Fri Nov 1 08:04:49 PDT 2019

Good Morning all,

In the last 2 weeks or so we have been contacted by a bunch of our active BFET students saying they have received a letter from DSHS basically telling them to start working 20 hours per week or get into a BFET program or their basic food assistance is under threat. As the number of students contacting us increases I'm starting to think this letter has gone out to all ABAWDs. Students receiving this letter have active VE components for 20+ hours/week.

The typical student reaction when they reach out to us is a slightly panicked "I thought I was already in the BFET program" and "Can you give me something that proves I am in the BFET program?". It seems like a simple check of eJAS before sending out these letters would have been a prudent thing to do.

Any other colleges experiencing this?

I have reached out to Dave Skaar and he is looking into it.

Have a great weekend!

Regards,

Mark Gordon

Workforce Advisor (Basic Food Employment & Training - BFET)
Workforce Services, Seattle Central College, BE5166
To make an appointment, please follow this link: https://mark-gordon.youcanbook.me/
Direct - 206 934 6937
Main - 206 934 3854
Fax - 206 934 5564