[BFET] BFET Performance Numbers Needed for Supplemental 100% Funds

Biros, Demetra Demetra.Biros at lwtech.edu
Wed Dec 9 12:13:18 PST 2015

HI Mat,
I understand that this question is about capacity building.  How are we using the 100% funds to increase the number of students in BFET?  However, since not all of the colleges provide tuition support through BFET, we may be using the 100% funds to support existing BFET students so that they are able to continue to completion.  In other words, it doesn't increase capacity of enrollment, but increases the chance that a student completes their educational program.

Furthermore, when I submitted my BFET grant application, I took into account ALL BFET students that I thought we could serve.  This number was partially based on prior year enrollment when we did not have to show increased capacity for 100% funds.  Had I known this was to be asked, I would not have included everyone on my original target.

If I come up with a random number of additional students that I think it will serve, I worry about the consequences.  1.  If I asked for $30k in tuition and I indicate that I will use if for 10 additional students, they may come back and say that doesn't add up.  2.  If I say that I will serve 50 additional students, but I don't, they will say that we didn't meet our target.

In addition, 100% funds is not just for direct student support (tuition).  We need to use it to pay for the 2nd BFET conference of the year for example;  how does that increase the number of students that we serve?

If the policy around 100% funds has changed and it can now only be used for additional students, not for current students, then we should have been informed of that prior to our request.

Please advise because at this point I don't feel comfortable completing the survey.

Demetra Biros
Director of Workforce Development
Lake Washington Institute of Technology
425-739-8315