[ATcoord] SBCTC's Accessibility 101: registration opens next week!

Jess Thompson jess.thompson at sbctc.edu
Wed Aug 29 18:23:54 PDT 2018

Registration opens Tuesday, Sept 4 for Accessibility 101!
[Bob Marley's Legenda album cover with a cat in place of Marley.]

(To the tune of Bob Marley's Redemption Song)

Old PDFs, yes, they rob I, my time and my authorship,

Minutes after they hook I, I sink into this image-based pit.

But my alt-text was made strong, By the hand of the ADA

We forward in this education. Inclusively.

- full lyrics below, because I couldn't resist -

Fall Sessions

This fall we'll be offering two standard sessions and one STEM-centric session.

*         October 8, 2018 - November 4, 2018

*         October 8, 2018 - November 4, 2018 - STEMcentric version!

o   Registration info for this session will be sent out at a later date.

*         October 22, 2018 - November 18, 2018

Training Description

This 4-week, online, asynchronous course is designed for faculty and staff who want to learn simple and quick steps to make materials accessible for people with disabilities and better for all users. Participants do not need to be tech savvy to take this course, but familiarity with MS Office applications and Canvas will be helpful. Participants will be introduced to basic accessibility concepts, practices, and inclusive design standards. The time commitment for this course is approximately 25 hours.

Preview the lessons at http://bit.ly/sbctcaccess.

Registration

Go to SBCTC's training website<http://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/elearning-open-education/training-registration.aspx> to register on Tuesday, Sept 4.

If interested, mark your calendar, this class has a tendency to fill very quickly and space is limited!

Contact elearning at sbctc.edu<mailto:elearning at sbctc.edu> if you run into any problems.

The course is free and currently only available for faculty and staff in the WA community and technical college system.

Remediate the Wrongs - full lyrics

Old PDFs, yes, they rob I

My time and my authorship,

Minutes after they hook I

I sink into this image-based pit.

But my alt-text was made strong

By the hand of the ADA

We forward in this education

Inclusively.

Won't you help to scribe

These files of inclusion?

'Cause all I ever want is to

Remediate the wrongs

Remediate the wrongs

Emancipate yourself from scanned PDFs

None but ourselves can free our files

Have no fear for accessibility

'Cause none of us want part in this crime

How long shall we ignore out promise

While people can't access their books? Ooh

Some say we can only do a bit

We've got to improve our outlook.

Won't you help describe

All these illustrations?

'Cause all I ever want is to

Remediate the wrongs

Remediate the wrongs

Album art from The Kitten Covers: Bob Meowley and Wailers<http://thekittencovers.tumblr.com/image/32506028883>

Jess Thompson
Program Administrator, Accessible Technology Initiatives
1300 Quince St SE | PO Box 42495 | Olympia, WA 98504
p: 360.704.4327|c: 253.229.8591
jess.thompson at sbctc.edu<mailto:jess.thompson at sbctc.edu> | www.sbctc.edu<http://www.sbctc.edu/> |https://accesswa.blog/
Current Projects<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KXjxctpTAa2R06iRksMrjaeiCkphAJzqkwX-awvJh9g/edit?usp=sharing>

Keep in the accessibility loop by joining the CTC Accessibility listserv<https://goo.gl/forms/CP1GHPl6Pe1ipD6q1>!