[ATcoord] contract language for inaccessible technologies

Ward Naf wnaf at whatcom.edu
Fri Apr 28 11:42:12 PDT 2017

Yes, this is to cover a piece of software that is already purchased, but has not been implemented yet. Its paid by a grant. Once we found out about it I met with them and we found that the software is not very compliant at all, but the company is aware of the accessibility issues and says they have it on their roadmap. So we told the department if they plan to purchase the software and not pull the PO, then they will not be able to use the software as required material. It will have to be completely optional, no assessments or outcomes based on the software. That we can work with the company and see how serious they are about changing it.
In the end we agreed they will use it for one year as an optional resource only, and we will notify the company we will be piloting the software for one year and if it is not compliant or if they have not made great progress in becoming accessible the software cannot be renewed. In a year if they have shown sufficient progress or are compliant we will require termination contract language to be in our contract with them. We have asked for a copy of their roadmap showing accessibility work. I don't know how they will respond, this was just sent out to them this week, but will probably know pretty soon.
The companies attitude was that they knew they weren't compliant but wanted to become. But that they have contracts with a pile of Ivy League schools that are letting them slide basically. For some reason no one is telling these companies no we won't buy your product because its not accessible. I guess no one wants to do the work to find one that is accessible, or none exist. So we have come up with this middle ground approach at our school to get us started. It's not perfect, and its does not directly meet the policy per se. But it gets us moving in the right direction and makes the company aware that we are giving them a very limited time to get compliant, and that we won't be making their product a core piece of the curriculum, but as a optional resource.  We will still be submitting it for a waiver if the waiver system survives. We have put the termination contract language in a few new purchases that are compliant, so the companies know they have to keep it compliant.

Ward Naf
IT Director
Whatcom Community College
(360) 383-3430