[ATcoord] Accessible Technology Policy "retreat" idea...

Jess Thompson jess.thompson at sbctc.edu
Wed Apr 26 13:30:25 PDT 2017

Thanks Andrew for your response . I'm including the listserv in my response as I think this opens up a great conversation.

I think there may be some misunderstandings about the coordinator's role - not surprising, since it was never assigned with any clear job description. I think bringing those with the title together to address that might be useful.

However, Policy 188 comes from the state OCIO and I do want to stress that state agencies that do not have DSS and eLearning offices (which is all of them outside of higher edu), are facing the same work - but without those resources or roles...

The way I see it, it's merely a title; a point person that can distribute the information and resources to the appropriate people and has a position that allows them access to the higher-ups at the campus. One office cannot and should not own this work. It touches every office, thus requires an integrated and coordinated effort. My goal is figuring out how to do that and accomplish that. I work very closely with ELC and DSS, I present at other council/commission meetings, but that doesn't guarantee the info reaches everyone it needs to (and let me be honest - most of this is outside of the scope of my job, but someone needs to do it and I enjoy this work).

Since I see the coordinator as more of a title/email forwarder role, perhaps we should explore opening up the listserv to include members of the accessibility workgroups at each campus. I just finished meeting with the team at SPSCC and their coordinator (a CIO) stressed what a help that would be to her as she didn't feel fully capable of leading and addressing this work as someone lacking a background in accessibility and the federal policies.

CATO (the Committee for Accessible Tech Oversight) will be meeting next week and the big topic is restructuring CATO to better serve the IT Access Coordinators (CATO was formed in response to the SBCTC policy which addresses all areas of the campuses, whereas Policy 188 only applies to business and administrative applications - so, really, to do the work of 188, you actually don't need to consider instructional materials, but to comply with federal and SBCTC policy, those items cannot be left out). This might be a good opportunity to look at what type of structure would best serve the coordinators and their teams.

Lastly, I am working through some ideas and proposals to host events for campus accessibility workgroups. Something that offers more direct support and opportunities to better collaborate with other colleges. Funding for such "convenings" or "seminars" or "retreats" would probably be limited to only a few schools, but the invitation would be open to all. I think it would be a great way to develop a stronger community of practice around this issue and present a fantastic venue to showcase some of our accomplishments and projects.  I'd love to hear what others think about such a thing as I'm in the process of pulling together the proposal and cost estimate.

Cheers - and thanks to everyone that participated in the Doodle poll. I'll send an invite out to the demo tomorrow once we have the final tally.

Jess

Jess Thompson
Program Administrator, eLearning & Open Education