[Abawdnavigators] Answers to a few questions

Kathi Medcalf kmedcalf at sbctc.edu
Tue Apr 7 14:35:59 PDT 2020

Hi All,

Happy Tuesday, hope you are taking good care of yourself.  Here are the answers to a couple of the questions I was asked to get some follow-up on.

  1.  If Tribal lands are within waived counties are they automatically waived as well?  Have any tribes applied for waivers?
Yes, they are automatically waived if they are in a waived area. Keep in mind the delayed waived areas did have some tribal areas that overlapped multiple counties. Then only the tribal lands within the waived county would be waived.
 We had asked for the Tribes to submit their approval for us to seek a waiver for them, but now that the waiver expansion is on hold with the injunction, it isn't necessary. When we know more about  when/how we will roll out non-waived areas again, we will resume these discussions.

  1.  There was concern today about ABAWDS that are already enrolled in BFET and how a program would know if they are an ABAWD?  This would matter if they fall below half-time during the summer.
ABAWD clients are provided the information about being ABAWDs as part of their SNAP eligibility. This is separate from BFET enrollment. Again, our staff are required to discuss ABAWD designation and responsibilities whenever they identify clients as mandatory ABAWDs.  Furthermore our BFET Providers have been briefed on taking extra care with our ABAWD clients.

  1.  How long approximately will it take to get an ABAWD connected with WorkFare?  I know this is hard to know but Navigators were asking from the standpoint of check-ins and when they should happen.
When a client contacts us and sets up a call back for Workfare, it should happen within twenty-four business hours. However, if the client doesn't answer the call initially, it could take longer.  There are also some additional requirements such as background checks that may delay the start date of workfare participation.

  1.  We have been telling Navigators if they have a signed consent form to work with an ABAWD that they can be part of calls to DSHS to help with any issues of misunderstanding or help needed.  There has been mixed results.  Some navigators have been able to be a part of calls and others not.  Should/Can Navigators be on calls if the ABAWD is okay with it?
This is entirely up to the client. They should not be answering for the client on the call unless the client has designated them to be an Authorized Representative<https://www.dshs.wa.gov/esa/eligibility-z-manual-ea-z/authorized-representative-food-assistance>. We do not advise that Navigators attempt to be Authorized Representatives for clients as this is a long term role and Navigators assisting ABAWDs to engage in activities is a short term service.

I was reminded today that we need to remember to "Put on your own oxygen mask first before helping anyone else with theirs.'  This is a good thing to keep in mind.  If we don't take care of ourselves we will not be able to take care of anyone else.

Kathi

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]Kathi Medcalf, M.S.Ed
Program Administrator: ABAWD, Workforce Education
1300 Quince Street SE | PO Box 42495 | Olympia, WA 98504-2495
P: (360) 704-1838     E: kmedcalf at sbctc.edu<mailto:kmedcalf at sbctc.edu>
                      Pronouns: She/Her