[Abawdnavigators] BFA allotment info

Kathi Medcalf kmedcalf at sbctc.edu
Thu Apr 2 12:44:42 PDT 2020

Hi All,

I was asked this question this week and got an answer below.  I thought you all might like this info.

I just saw the DSHS information about basic food assistance allotment of 2 emergency allotments that are to bring households up to the maximum allotment for their household size. My question is what determines household allotment?  Is "allotment" synonymous with monthly payments? I am trying to understand what this means from the perspective of my students, will this be helpful or still not near enough to prevent further food insecurity. Many of my students have complained that benefits have dropped to less than $50/mth.

Allotment does equal "monthly payments". We call it benefit allotment.

It does mean that if students did not get the maximum food amount (for their household size) for March they will get a supplement. As long as the client is open on food in the month of April, they will receive a supplement for April as well.

Please see more information here:
https://www.dshs.wa.gov/os/office-communications/media-release/dshs-receives-supplemental-funding-boost-benefits-basic-food-recipients

FAQ:  https://www.dshs.wa.gov/sites/default/files/SESA/BasicFoodEmergencySupplementsApril2020.pdf

Another thing for the Navigators to be aware of, the Student Status rules<https://www.dshs.wa.gov/esa/eligibility-z-manual-ea-z/student-status> for having to have an exemption or work still apply at this time. The state is seeking a waiver for students but we have no idea when this may be approved or implemented. I have mentioned the Navigators as a good resource for spreading the word if it is approved.

Thanks,

Kathi

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]Kathi Medcalf, M.S.Ed
Program Administrator: ABAWD, Workforce Education
1300 Quince Street SE | PO Box 42495 | Olympia, WA 98504-2495
P: (360) 704-1838     E: kmedcalf at sbctc.edu<mailto:kmedcalf at sbctc.edu>
                      Pronouns: She/Her